Chapter 2: Steve's Perspective

I put the pencil down on the table, and then closed the journal I was writing in. I then looked around, realizing the tent was more worn out than ever.

The tent used to be a light-orange color, but now it was becoming a dark shade of brown. There was a small fissure forming in the top of the tent as well, which was probably a week or two old. I made a mental note to fix it later, then got up to unzip the tent.

Once the zipper was down, I pushed the flaps out of the way, allowing me access outside of the tent. The sun made it hard to see for a moment, but my crystal-blue eyes adjusted to it before long.

Once my eyes were situated to the blinding rays of the sun, I looked around, seeing many more tents that were just as run down as my tent, if not more.

Some of the tents were bigger than others, like the white tent with a blue plus on it, signifying it was for injuries that couldn't be treated at home, or tent in this case. Across from the medical tent was another tent with a pale color, and while it wasn't as tall as the medical tent, it was definitely as long, if not longer than the medical tent.

I made my way towards the pale tent, noticing all the dehydrated people sitting outside of their tents or the medical tent. There were a couple people walking around, but the majority of them were transferring medical supplies or drinks to tents all across the camp.

There was enough tents to fill up an entire village, which was kind of the point. The war with Robert Griggs hadn't been easy. We had to move out of our village and into an uncharted location in the middle of nowhere. It took a while, but eventually we found a place that could serve at least the bare minimum for survival.

Thankfully, we were surrounded by trees, keeping any off-track travelers from accidentally uncovering the camp.

After making it halfway to the tent, I noticed Issac Smith and Dylan Davis awkwardly standing near each other, barely making eye contact or conversation.

Issac had short, blond hair, forest-green eyes, and a thirst for battle. Meanwhile, Dylan was an an awkward but lovable man with earth-brown eyes and long, brownish-black hair.

They had a habit of doing this whenever they noticed each other, but this time it didn't have as much blushing. I turned back to my destination, subtly rolling my eyes while doing so. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw somebody collapse out of dehydration, but thankfully there was a medic who got to them.

I made it to the tent's entrance, and heard my father, James Berkan, planning something with what sounded like Rob Freeman, my sister's boyfriend, and Elizabeth Berkan, my sister. I leaned in, trying to listen in on the conversation, to determine if the discussion was nearing it's end.

One last thing, James said.

Yeah, Rob responded.

Please, be safe.

"Don't you worry dad, we'll be fine as long as we stick together!" Elizabeth responded, her voice getting closer to the exit. Her voice was bubbly, cheery, and like a soft blow of the wind.

Elizabeth made her way out of the tent, with Rob close behind. Elizabeth was a very energetic person, but also had a heart of gold, like the color of her hair.

Rob was a dark-haired white man with maroon eyes and a white lotus flower birthmark on his neck. Elizabeth looked in my direction and greeted me, saying "Hey, lil' bro."

"Hey," I greeted back as I went to hug her.

After we hugged, Elizabeth joked "Now don't you get into any trouble."