Chapter 20: Hospitalized Discoveries

We all sat in folding chairs inside the hospital's waiting room, waiting for some news on Steve's condition.

Rose had suggested earlier that we each take turns waiting in the waiting room, and when Steve's news came that person would get all of us, but Dylan said that Steve usually recovers from the comas in about a week.

I tried to act concerned, though not so much where it'd seem like I knew him. Though, to be honest, while I was a little concerned, I wasn't very worried for Steve.

I already knew him well enough to the point that I knew he tries to push his body to his limits, and that he usually recovers whenever he does reach said limits.

Huh. Steve really hasn't changed much since I last saw him, I thought.

He's changed, trust me, Hope responded.

Is he still pushing others away because he likes to work alone?

Well... yeah, but... he didn't push you away.

That's what I thought too. But if you think about it, back when we were surviving together, Steve kept me out of the way so he'd do the dangerous things himself.

...

Huh. Didn't think of it like that, Hope said.

A nurse charged through the waiting room doors with a doctor behind her, yelling to us "Steve's awake!"

Hearing this, Dylan said confidently to Rose "Told ya he'd wake up in a week."

"How many times has he done this, exactly," Isabelle asked as we walked to Steve's hospital room.

"I lost count at twenty times," Issac answered.

"Twenty," Rose restated, confused.

"I know, right? We're still confused by the fact that he's not suffering any side effects from fainting so much," Dylan said as we turned a corner into view of Steve's hospital room.

"We even had to get an emergency room for him specifically."

The doctor opened the door to the room, and allowing all of us to enter Steve's hospital room to see him laying down in a hospital bed with green covers and white sheets.

"So, it happened again," Dylan asked Steve, who was wide awake.

"Wait. What happened," Rose asked.

"Well...," Steve started to say before going into a long explanation.

When he was done, he said rudely as he crossing his arms "If you're confused, I'm not explaining it again."

Yep. That's Steve, I thought, silently smacking my lips.

"I mean, it makes sense," Rose said. "But why did you use them earlier? Surely you had another way to clear that room."

Dylan snickered, before explaining "Because of his pride."

"Huh?"

"I don't want to talk about this anymore," Steve said quietly.

Issac started to make a quip, saying "See? His pride is so enormous that-,"

"I SAID I DON'T... never mind. I need to be alone."

Issac looked like he wanted to apologize, but I think he decided against it, since he walked out of the room with the rest of us, except for the doctor and nurse.

After Rose closed the hospital door, I walked up to Issac and asked "Hey, are you alright?"

"Yeah, Luke, I'm alright. Just need to be alone for a bit," Issac responded, before he walked with Dylan to their quarters.