Chapter 48: "Must Be Another Drill"

As I dropped down onto the balcony, I saw no guards patrolling nearby, allowing me to immediately head to the reactor. The reactor was covered by a thick lead casing, allowing me to approach it without a hazmat suit. Unfortunately, because of the reactor's protection, it would be more difficult to destroy it.

I grabbed a disk with blue and white stripes, loaded it into my right gauntlet, and shot it to the far left wall. I then grabbed a grenade out of my belt and placed it on the left side of the reactor. When I finished, I looked back at the left wall, and saw the disk had transformed into a sniper turret with blue stripes.

A second later, I heard some guards talking behind the (normal) entrance to the reactor. "And then I said, 'Those aren't my shoes!'" I heard laughter follow this, and also followed by "Alright, I gotta get back to my patrol. See ya!"

I heard a door open to my left, so I quickly reactivated the stealth disk and swung below the balcony, where I activated the grapple on my right arm's gauntlet to keep me from falling down into the giant metal pit below me.

"Dammit. Another half an hour of standing around in the same spot with nothing to do," I heard the guard say in a slight Russian accent.

Shit. What do we do now, Hope asked.

I'm... not sure. We can't kill the guard, since he might be found before we can destroy the base.

Why can't we pull him into the pit below?

Knowing Robert, he has guards patrolling the bottom of the pit as well.

Actually, why would this base even have a pit?

Aesthetics? I suggested.

"H-hey, Steve? W-what is g-going on," I heard Rowan ask through the ear comm.

I placed my left index and middle fingers against my left earpiece, and whispered "Do you see the guard above me?"

"G-give me a m-minute... Y-yeah, b-but... I d-don't have anything to t-take him out."

"Check the schedules. Maybe there's a drill scheduled soon?"

"H-how will t-that help?"

"Maybe you can move the drill time back to now, as an 'unexpected' change."

"S-smart, but... won't t-they be suspicious?"

"You'd be surprised how dumb Robert's goons are."

"O-okay, I'm d-doing what you a-asked."

Moments later, a loud alarm blared throughout the facility, and I heard a loudspeaker in Robert's voice, probably in a recorded message "This is a drill. Lockdown, lockdown. I repeat, this is a drill."

The base's lights turned from a common white to a dark red, and the observatory windows and the door in the reactor room all got closed by shutter doors, and the vents were closed off by red lasers. And for a cherry on top, there was an annoyingly repetitive alarm blaring throughout the base.

"Well, at least there's a drill. Yay, not only am I going to stand around and do nothing for 30 minutes, but I'm going to have an the alarm blaring in my ears the whole time," the guard complained.

Using the sudden change of scenery to my advantage, I quickly swung back to the top of the balcony, on the other side of the reactor from the guard, and slowly snuck behind him while silently unsheathing one of the Swords of Creation, and transformed it into a small knife.

After waiting a moment, I pounced on the guard, stabbing the side of his throat with the knife, causing blood to spew out of it. I then quickly jumped off of the guard, pushing their head into the balcony railings.