Chapter 24: The Impossible Simulation

While I walked to my father's office, I went over Steve's behavior to try and find something significant to report on.

If nothing else, I've noticed that Steve is very insist on working alone.

He also seems to be completely ignorant of Rose's crush on him, Fear added.

Right, that.

And not in a way where he's playing hard to get, Hope mentioned.

Look, guys, I understand you're trying to help me, but you don't have to keep me from thinking Steve likes Rose. I know Steve' gay, so I'm not worried.

Then... why are you jealous?

...

Because unlike me, Rose is close enough to Steve to have an actual "healthy" crush on him.

I entered an elevator that led me to a receptionist desk. The receptionist looked up from his computer, then pressed a button on the computer, which opened the office's metal doors.

Your crush isn't obsessive, if that's what you're applying. You've just known him longer than Rose, Hope replied.

I walked through, and the doors closed behind me. Inside the office was my father, his desk, and in front of him was a large glass window that allowed him to oversee the factory room, and the reactor inside which he used to make Univantium.

Though, strangely, I noticed a lot of the robots were packing things up and turning the factory off.

My father waited a moment, then said "Isn't it beautiful? The power of the Big Bang, contained in a simple, human reactor."

I walked close to my father, looked at the reactor sparking with green electricity, and said "I-I guess."

...

"So, your report."

"O-oh, right."

I coughed. "Steve is still refusing help from others any chance he gets, though it's getting less obvious as time goes on."

"He's starting to trust them.."

"H-huh?"

"Steve refuses help because he's afraid of trusting people, for fear of losing them. Good."

"G-good? How is that g-good?"

My father looked at me, looked back at the reactor, and explained "Another time."

...

"Anything else?"

"W-well, one of S-Steve's teammates has a c-crush on him... and Dylan and I-Issac seem to be different than how y-you described them."

"That is all, father."

"Good."

I turned to leave his office, and when I was halfway to the exit, Robert said "By the way, I know about your conversation with Cornelius."

I froze in place.

How the hell does he know?!

My father's silence sent a chill down my spine.

"Well? Anything you want to say?"

...

"No," I lied.

I wanted to yell at my father for what he did, but I also wanted to go back to Cornelius as soon as possible.

"Good. Now run along."