Chapter 44: The Home Turf

7 Years Earlier

I had reached the first corner of the gate that protected the farm me and Rowan had established together, and started walking along the gate, looking for any potential weaknesses. Every so often, I crossed a machine gun turret we had placed on the inside of the gate.

Eventually, I grabbed the rose in my belt I had grabbed earlier, and every so often, I looked at the rose for a second or two.

Look, it's going to be alright. I'm sure he's going to say yes, the voice said comfortingly.

You're just saying that to comfort me.

I mean it. You both deserve each other, and would be an amazing couple if you got together.

If.

...

I eventually started looking only at the rose, just occasionally glancing at the gate. I reached the second corner of the gate soon after.

Well, I know that, but... what if he says no? What if he can't look at me the same way again? What if...

Stop thinking like that. He's gonna say yes, just trust me.

I gently put the rose back in my belt and returned my full attention to the gate. It was probably 15 minutes in total that I was walking around the inside of the gate, and when I finished I looked around to make sure Rowan wasn't nearby, then released a deep and heavy sigh.

Nothing. Not a single weakness to fix. Dammit, I hate being efficient.

I slowly turned to the direction of the barn, and started walking towards it, both hoping that Rowan wasn't done with the farm yet, and also praying he was done so I could see him more.

10 minutes later

I had made it to the path presumably made by the people who used to own this barn, and then to the exit of the woods, into sight of the giant red barn. We had moved into the barn about a couple years ago, after five-ish years since my parents died.

They would be proud to know I'm still surviving.

I walked up to the front deck that contained the front door to the barn, then up to the door, put my hand on the knob, and tried to open it at a normal speed, to keep from making Rowan suspicious if he was nearby.

When it opened, I saw Rowan wasn't in the kitchen, which was within view of anybody who entered the front door. I walked past the stairs to the upper floor to the living room to my right, which had two leather couches against the left and right walls, with a window behind on the right wall, three leather chairs in the back of the living room, and one wood chair near the middle of the room, facing the fireplace to the left of me.

When we had first moved into the barn, we found half-rotted bodies in nearly every single seat, with bullet holes on the walls behind the couches and chairs, and in the chairs themselves. So, we had to do some research on who each of them were, who was married, what was their favorite possessions, and other stuff like that.

Once we did the research, we buried most of the bodies in the yard behind the barn, but buried the one in the wooden chair, who seemed to be the grandmother or something close to that judging by the skeleton, below the tree at the top of the nearby hill that was behind the barn.

Apparently, she wanted to be buried "Where she can watch over her family even when she's gone." Guess she got what she wanted, just not in the way she expected.

I walked over and plopped down in the couch against the right wall, and then started getting comfortable by laying down in a good position. When I finished, I looked at the left wall behind the couch, and saw about a dozen pictures, most likely of the family we buried.