Her Past

CHAPTER 5

She blinked. Twice.
Mikasa stared at Eren not knowing what to say.

"I mean- we are friends now right?" Eren said in an awkward tone
".. yes" Mikasa answered

There was silence in the room again. Mikasa kept fidgeting her fingers and Eren was still cursing himself for asking her that question out of blue. He noticed Mikasa's face was turning red and felt guilty.

"I am so sorry Mikasa. I didn't mean to make you so uncomfortable" He said.
"What do you mean?" The raven haired girl asked.
"Your face is red"
"Eren.. I have fever. That's why Armin and Annie went to the medical store"
...

"Oh" that was all he could say.
"Right sorry" He said with embarrassment.
"Eren I think you are having fever as well" She chuckled looking at the boys sudden blushed face.

There was a knock on the door as the blond couple came back. Eren felt relieved as he dodged the situation.
Later the four of them went downstairs to have some dinner.

"I made you all kids some pasta" Hannes said excitingly.
"Thankyou Mr Jaeger and I'm sorry for causing troubles to you" Mikasa said.

"Ahh no kid, you know you're the first girl-" Hannes was cut by Eren.
"DID I TOLD YOU GUYS DAD MAKES AMAZING FOOD"
He eyed Hannes and went to sit beside Armin. Eren kept glancing at Mikasa making sure she is doing okay.

After having the dinner Annie and Armin went upstairs to set their rooms.
"Mikasa are you okay? Do you need something?" Eren kept asking her
"I told you I'm okay, just need some rest and I'll be better" she said and gave him a weak smile.

Annie slept besides Mikasa and the boys slept in another separate room.

"Hey Eren, thanks for today" Armin said
"You have no idea how I panicked about this situation" the blond boy gave a sad smile.
"Armin, is she ok?" Eren asked
"I don't know, but I really hope she is" Armin replied.
"Its all happening again. I can't imagine how hard this is for her"
"Again?" Eren questioned.
"Her Past"

*10 years ago*

Armin's pov

"Miiikaasaa, I know where you are hiding"
I opened the closet and found her sitting down at the corner.
"Same place again? You love to lose?"
"Look what I found" Mikasa showed me a box full of chocolates.
"Mika where did you find this" I asked
"Inside papa's drawer" she said with sparkling eyes.
"You stole it??" I asked.
"No this is for my birthday so technically it's mine" she said
"But Mika your birthday is next month.."
She giggled and said "I'll give you some if you will shut up"
"As if uncle won't find out?" I asked.

Suddenly we heard someone crying out loud and there was a kock at the door. I went to open it and saw Levi standing with tears forming in his eyes.

"Where is Mikasa?" he asked me
"I'm hereee" Mikasa said "is papa back- wait who is crying out there?" She asked.
"Mika-" Levi said and hugged her tight.
"Levi? What happened? Who is crying outside?"
"It's mom" "dad isn't coming back" he answered
"Why isn't papa coming back? Does he have a night shift again? But he promised to be back early today" Mikasa asked.
"Dad is never coming back Mika. He is no more" Levi answered.

My heartbeat stopped. I looked at Mikasa worrying. She had her eyes open wide, like the whole world is breaking crumble apart around her. She was in total paralysis not being able to process.

"Mikasa..." I said in a low voice still trying not to break down.
She kept repeating one word "no" still in denial she asked Levi

"Levi stop joking around, this isn't funny. Papa promised me that he would play with me. He never breaks it!"

Levi couldn't bear her sister like that and hugged her again but she pushed him apart from her and went straight to her room.

Eren's pov

"Everything changed ever since then. Her relationship with her mom, she herself" Armin added.
"Her mom started to spend most of her time in her office or outside the country to not break down again. That is why Mikasa is the closest to her brother Levi"
"Even tho her relations changed with her mother she still cares about her. She is her family after all" Armin said.

"Family" Eren spoke in a soft voice
"I lost my mother when I was 6 years old, and my relations with my dad.. keeps getting worse" I thought to myself.

"The cheerful girl who always used to laugh, was carefree, now was lost. And she became darker and colder as she grew up. I wasn't there with her in middle school as my parents had to shift places but I knew everything. She used to be alone at school
and then I joined her again as soon as high school started. That's when I met Annie. It's been two years and I finally saw her bright side again but... this happened"

"Was she bullied in middle school?" I asked.
"Bullied? She might be lonely and had no one beside her but there's no way she would ever let anyone bully her. She once even beat the shit of this boy when we still use to go school together. It was after her father's death, that stupid boy made fun of Mikasa and in return she taught him a lifetime lesson"

I chuckled a bit, "didn't knew that about her, But I'm glad Atleast she met Annie"
Armin smiled and said "I hope Mikasa will get over this soon, I know she will"

"It's getting darker" armin said.
I nodded and lie down with my eyes closed.

"I never imagined a person like her could have had such darkness inside. But she still tries, she smiles, she shows love and she cares, after everything that happened in her past. Could I be like her?"

Thankyou for reading <3