BARRELING TOWARD HER

As soon as the screen door slammed shut behind him, Adam started speaking.

"I done told you what would happen." He shook his head in disappointment.

"She wants to throw my dog out like trash! And you are letting her!" Genna tried to pull her arm free but winced when Adam tightened his grip and gave her a sharp tug closer to his side.

"She wants no such thing, Genevieve."

Once they made it to the barn, Adam let go of Cheddar's collar and pulled open the door. He gave a high pitched whistle and the dog went prancing in. She picked up her favorite blue ball and tossed it around a few times before bringing it with her to lay down on a fleece blanket sprawled over a bed of hay.

"She look unhappy to you?"

Genna bit her bottom lip. "No."

Adam nodded and closed the barn door. With Genna still in a tight grip and in the same hasty manor he exited the house, he began walking around to the back of the barn. As soon as they cleared the back, he stopped and glared down at his daughter.

"Do I look unhappy to you?"

Swallowing the guilt that tried creeping up, she answered softly. "Yes."

As soon as the word left her lips, Adam pulled Genna against his hip and wrapped his arm around her back.

"DAD!" Genna gasped when the first swat fell. A second and third fell in quick succession. The strength he was putting into it nearly took her breath away.

"I offered to quell this temper before I left," he paused his sentence to lay four fast swats down.

"Oww, OW! I KNOW!"

"Again, I expected two things from you. You were here like I asked, and I thank you for that. However," he leaned down to get a solid hold on her, knowing he was about to drive his point home.

"That display of disrespect will not happen again. Do I make myself clear, young lady?" He raised his voice loud enough so she could hear him over the sound of his hand connecting to her bottom in concurrence with each spoken word.

With the urge to cry caught in her throat, Genna's legs began to wobble. She nodded profusely but the cry released itself when Adam swatted her once more. "Answer me."

"YES, yes sir. You.. you're clear. I un-understand."

He pulled her up to stand in front of him and he had to harden his resolve as he watched her. She reached around to rub the sting out of her backside with one hand, and wipe her teary eyes with the other. Her breaths came out hitched as she tried to calm herself.

Adam stood back and crossed his arms, anger still apparent on his face.

"Lemme tell you somethin' little girl, you ain't in charge here. There are adults in this house, but you ain't one of 'em. This best be the last time I hear you cussin' and talkin' the way you just did. So from now on, if you're gonna be so bold with your disrespect to Anne, you best be bold enough to face the consequences in front of her. Understood?"

Genna's face screwed up in despair and disgust at the thought. "But—"

Adam shook his head, "No. No. I don't wanna hear a single word other than you tellin' me you understand."

Genna recoiled away from him as his words refueled her anger. Shaking her head in disbelief, she stepped back until she felt the cold wooden barn bracing her.

"Genevieve,"

"DON'T." She held up her hand to stop him. "You.. you're letting her in betw..." she let out a pained laugh. "I.. I told myself that I wouldn't get in trouble because of her, and look at you. LOOK AT YOURSELF! You're already mad at me, you did this because of her!"