ALL BECAUSE OF HER

The inviting scent of Saturday breakfast lured a drowsy Genna down the stairs. She rubbed her eyes and took her seat at the table, yawning and stretching the night's rest away.

"Where's your sister?" Adam queried when the blonde wasn't following behind her.

"I dunno," she grumbled. "I knocked on her door but she told me to fu—go away."

Adam's brows raised at what he knew his youngest had actually told her. "Oh really?... She say anythin' else?"

"Thanks mama," Genna smiled when Anne placed a few strips of bacon down on her plate. She looked to Adam and shrugged. "No. Just doesn't wanna be bothered I guess."

Anne rounded the island and took the wooden spoon from Adam's hand. "I'll finish the scrambled eggs, you go check on her."

Giving her an appreciative smile, he kissed her forehead before heading up the stairs. Just as his boot hit the top landing, Delilah's door opened. The pair silently surveyed one another for a moment before Adam spoke.

"You feelin' alright, baby?"

Delilah closed her door and leaned against the cool wooden surface. She didn't miss the stern undertone of Adam's question, so she gave a slight nod and spoke calmly. "I'm fine."

"You sure? From what your sister said—"

Delilah rolled her eyes, causing him to stop mid sentence.

"What? Why you rollin' your eyes?"

"I'm not—I" shaking her head, she sighed. "I didn't mean to."

Adam gestured toward her room. "Let's go in and talk for a minute."

"I'm just hungry," Delilah mumbled, not necessarily wanting to be in close proximity to the man should her temper get the best of her.

After a tense minute of Adam staring directly at her, and Delilah looking anywhere but at him, he finally nodded and turned around. "Alright, let's go eat then."

He heard her pad down the stairs after him at a pace much slower than someone would use if they were as in need of eating as she claimed to be. He watched as she chose to sit on the opposite side of the table beside Anne, instead of sitting beside Genna like usual.

Adam didn't miss the scowl the blonde sent her sister's way, and he was grateful Genna was too focused on her plate to see it.

"You need somethin' Delilah Katherine?" he asked.

Big blue eyes shot over to him. She opened her mouth, but then pressed her lips together tightly and shook her head.

Adam nodded, placing the now finished scrambled eggs in a large serving bowl. He crossed the kitchen and placed it directly in front of her.

"Help yourself, then pass it to your sister," he said as he took his seat.

He watched as Delilah scooped some egg then held the bowl out for Genna. The second she reached for it, Delilah dropped the bowl and flung the spoon toward her, causing it to tumble out of the bowl and pieces of egg to fly into Genna's face.

Anne gasped and there was a tense silence as Genna slowly reached up and pulled a chunk of egg from her hair.

"You—" before Genna could finish her rant, Adam stood from the table and silently stepped around Anne.

As he walked past, he grabbed Delilah by the arm and hauled her out of her sit, never breaking stride. He remained silent the entire time he dragged her down the hall and into his room.

With one thunderous swat to her bottom that made her bite her lip and tears spring to her eyes, he propelled her into a corner. He leaned down from behind her and spoke quietly into her ear.