TO BE ENOUGH

Archer drank in the view of the little brunette sitting across him in the booth. He watched as she perused the menu, deep in thought with eyes flicking back and forth between the same two items that he could name without having to look.

He waited patiently for another moment before reaching out and lowering the menu, then he smiled when Genna's large brown eyes met his.

"We both know you're gonna get the chicken strip basket with fries and a coke. Then for dessert you're gonna order a vanilla shake, insist it's all you want, then absolutely demolish half of my lava cake."

A hue of embarrassment dusted Genna's cheeks and she scowled at him.

His hand lifted off the menu to caress her cheek. "Why are you wearin' my favorite shade of pink right now?" he teased with a grin.

Genna leaned back in her seat until she was just out of reach, then crossed her arms over her chest indignantly.

"Okay, smart guy. Just for that I'm going with the shrimp fra diavolo, a Dr. Pepper to drink, and I'm getting the warm brownie topped with ice cream for dessert, but I'll share because I'm a nice human being."

Archer scoffed. "I share! I share with you every time we come here!"

Genna pressed her elbows into the table and glared at him. "Fine. Then I'll share and not whine about it."

Archer's eyes softened and he took a hold of her hand. "I ain't whinin', I'm just—"

"Sounds like whining to me," she sang as she picked up the menu and put it in front of her face.

"I'm just sayin'," Archer continued, lowering the menu again, "I know what you're gonna order so there ain't no point in takin' twenty minutes to decide."

Genna blinked, staring blankly at him for a long moment before speaking. "Are we fighting? Do you want to fight about something? Did I say or do something that's making you want to make me mad?"

Archer let out a hearty laugh and shook his head. "No, Genevieve, we ain't fightin'."

"Are you sure? Because everything you're saying sounds a lot like fighting words."

Dark hair fell across blue eyes and even though he irritated her to no end, Genna still wanted to run her fingers through the silky strands.

"We ain't fightin'," he clarified once more. "I just know what my girl likes.. that's all."

She stared at him with skepticism on her face before blowing out a relenting breath. "Okay, fine."

"Alright then," Archer nodded. "You gonna order your usual or you really gonna stick with that crappy order?"

His cheeky grin made Genna roll her eyes, but deep down, she loved how well he knew her.

"That depends..."

"On?"

"On whether or not you'll let me pay today."

The boy shrugged. "My girl gets to do whatever she wants."

"Okay then. I'll order my usual, and I'll pay for dinner."

Archer nodded and took the menu from her. "I get next time."

"Unless your girl says otherwise."

The boy squinted at her but didn't say anything in contrary, he instead enjoyed the smug grin she sported and allowed her to think what she wanted.

The waitress came by to collect their orders and soon after returned with their beverages.

Genna carefully removed the wrapper from one end of her straw and ignored the way Archer raised his brow in silent warning.