TOGETHER

"Happy birthday dear Genna, happy birthday to youuu!"

The blushing girl blew out the two numbered candles that formed 15. What a year it had been. So much had happened, the last six months alone seemed to have crammed an entire lifetime of growth into it.

Genna pulled the candles off and licked the whipped cream from the bottom. "I can honestly say that a birthday pancake is a first for me." She eyed the mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, and cherry on top of the world's thickest buttermilk pancake appreciatively.

"It's a little tradition of ours," Adam smiled while he gave a gentle squeeze to Delilah's shoulders.

"Helps set the mood for your entire day," the blonde grinned.

"How come you guys aren't having any?"

"It's just for the birthday girl," Adam said.

Anne passed his cup of coffee to him and took a seat beside Genna. "I think it's absolutely brilliant. I've only ever celebrated my birthday with a traditional cake after having dinner."

"Same," Genna bobbed her head. She shoveled a massive bite of pancake into her mouth and mumbled, "This is so much better."

Adam lifted the mug to his lips, finding half of his coffee was missing. He gave Anne a slight glare but she just smiled and shrugged innocently at him. He took a sip to hide his smirk.

A phone alarm suddenly rang out and Anne jumped up from her seat. "Oh! That's me." She pulled the phone from her back pocket, shut off the alarm, then tossed it into her purse. Throwing the bag over her shoulder, she leaned over and gave Adam a quick kiss. She ran her hand down the back of Genna's hair. "I've got an early meeting, but I'll see you girls at school. Don't forget I'm driving you home today. Just come to my class once you're ready to go."

"Yes ma'am," the girls replied in unison.

Anne gave Delilah's arm a gentle pat before heading out.

The blonde reached to steal a chocolate chip off Genna's pancake, but quickly pulled her hand back when she was startled by a light swat to her bottom.

"Don't be pickin' the goods off your sister's birthday pancake." A chuckle was barely hidden within Adam's chide.

A slight pout formed on the blonde's lips. "But it looks so good," she whined.

"But it's her birthday," he mimicked her whine back at her. He dropped a kiss to the top of her head as he moved to place his now empty cup in the sink. "Yours'll be here before ya know it. August is only four months away."

Delilah stared at the pancake. "Just one bite," she whispered to Genna.

"MmmMMmm," Genna teased with a shake of her head. "This is.. oooooh, the most delicious pancake. Better than anything I've ever had... eevvverrrrrr." She picked up the cherry and plucked it off the stem between her teeth.

Delilah crossed her arms. "You suck."

"And you mad."

Rolling her eyes, the blonde scooped up her backpack and slung it over her shoulder. "I'll be in the truck," she said sullenly.

Genna laughed until she met Adam's eyes. He was leaned back against the counter, his arms folded across his chest as he watched the scenario that had just played out. He didn't say anything, but Genna cleared her throat and resumed eating quietly.

Once she was finished, she placed her dirty dishes in the dishwasher. She stopped in front of Adam who was still standing just as he had been five minutes prior.