THE PRIVILEGE OF BEING

"Well are you gonna just stand there or are you gonna let me in?"

Adam's brain finally overrode the shock and immediately took a step back.

"Uh, y.. yeah, a'course. Come on in, Ellie."

The petite blonde woman rolled a large suitcase toward him as she breezed by. She kicked her boots off and eyed the living room as she shook out of her coat and hung it up on the hooks.

"Don't ya ever switch up the decor 'round here? This place looks the same every time I come."

Adam let out a dry chuckle and rubbed the back of his neck. "Um, that reminds me, Ella-Mae, why did you come?"

The blonde whipped her head around and glared up at him. "It's February vacation, moron. I come every year durin' Delilah's February vacation. And because I've yet to meet my other niece, so obviously I wouldn't miss it. I didn't think I'd have to remind you," she said hotly.

Adam's eyes widened and he brought both hands up just to drag them down the sides of his face. He cleared his throat. "Oh, yeah, well it's great to have ya." He gave her a sheepish side grin before muttering under his breath, "so great."

Ellie strode into the kitchen, flipping lights on as she went. She began rummaging through the pantry and pulling out pots. Adam stood back in the doorway, his hand gripping the handle to the suitcase as he watched her move like a tornado through his tidy, or rather now untidy, kitchen. He barely suppressed the groan he felt like letting out; all he wanted to do was shower and go to bed.

"Can I help you with somethin'?" he asked politely, but the tightness in his tone didn't go unnoticed.

Ellie smiled coyly at him. "You offerin' to cook me some spaghetti? 'Cause I'm starvin' and I'd sure love to talk all about what you've been doin'. Or should I say who."

Before Adam could dignify that with an answer, their eyes averted to the stairs as a shrilling "SHE'S HERE?!" was squealed out.

Within moments, Genna came barreling down the stairs with Delilah very cautiously following behind her. The brunette ran straight into Ellie's open arms. Even though they'd never met in person, they'd texted, face timed, and emailed frequently over the last 8 months. Delilah had always ranted and raved about her cool Aunt Ellie, and Genna had been waiting to wrap her arms around another piece of her history that had been lost long ago.

"Oh, there she is! Genna-girl, let me see you! Oh, look at them beautiful brown eyes. And that face! Just as pretty as a Lily." She playfully pinched the girl's cheeks then pulled her back into a tight hug.

Delilah hovered around the bottom of the stairs but didn't take that last step into the kitchen. She fondly watched as her aunt and Genna greeted one another, but also kept eyeing Adam.

The gruff man turned into putty at the sight of his sister finally meeting the other half of his heart. He looked to Delilah and noted her pinked cheeks and damp lashes. He let out a sigh and took the few steps over to her, knowing she wouldn't be coming to him until he settled things with her.

"I ain't sorry I spanked ya," he stated, causing Delilah's lips to pout. "Ya know you ain't s'posed to be outta bed and snoopin' around the house at night. But I'm sure sorry I didn't let ya get a word in edge wise to explain."

His apology was sincere as he reached out and cupped the side of her face, stroking her cheek with his thumb. She gave a somber nod and subconsciously rubbed her bottom where he'd delivered quite the swat when he'd lost his patience. He gave her a tender smile and pulled her into a hug, reaching around to pat her bottom.