SUREFOOTED AND OVERJOYED

Genna was momentarily stunned that her sister had the gall to actually strike her. There had only ever been one time that such a moment had almost come to pass, and she never thought they would be in such a position again. Her shock was soon smothered by rage and she gave a two-handed shove causing Delilah to stumble backward. Delilah quickly recovered and lunged, bringing herself and Genna down onto the couch.

Grabbing a fist full of blonde hair, Genna yanked Delilah's head to the side, effectively throwing her off balance and onto the floor. She rolled with her, landing on top and pinning one of Delilah's arms beneath her leg. She wound her hand back and gave a solid slap to Delilah's face before standing up and quickly backing away.

Delilah slowly sat up, chest heaving, as she raised a hand to gingerly rub her cheek. "Ow."

Genna reached up and rubbed her own. "I know."

They sat in silence for a moment, glaring at one another when the edges of Genna's lips twitched just before she broke into laughter. Delilah wanted to still be angry, but found that she couldn't. She soon joined Genna as they both laughed at how utterly ridiculous they were being.

"Anyone care to explain what the hell I just witnessed?" Adam snapped from the doorway of the kitchen. The gruff man was met with looks of surprise.

"Well, um, that depends on how much you actually witnessed?" Genna said; the nerves evident in how her voice steadily rose in pitch as she spoke.

"Just a misunderstandin'," Delilah rushed out as she climbed to her feet.

Adam's eyes narrowed as he walked over to her. His eyes gave her a once over, then he reached up to smooth the hair that had been roughed up by Genna's grip. Pushing it away from her face, he noted the red hand print on her cheek.

Without a word, he crooked a finger to Genna, beckoning her to him. She slowly walked over, guilt written all over her face. He took her by the chin and observed the angry mark upon her cheek as well. His eyes narrowed further when he looked to Delilah who promptly shrunk beneath his glare.

"Has it ever been okay to put your hands on one another like that?"

"No, sir," they replied together. Their eyes met in mutual regret and forgiveness.

He released Genna's chin and gently ran his thumb across the print that marred her skin. Sighing, he stuffed his hands in his pockets and nodded toward the couch. The girls moved to take a seat and Genna wasn't all that surprised when he sat upon the coffee table before them, his knees almost touching her own right, and Delilah's left.

"I'm gonna ask one more time," he stated lowly, looking back and forth between his daughters. "Would one of ya'll like to explain?"

Genna tightly clasped her hands together and Delilah's eyes dropped to her lap. Sensing the internal destruction happening beside her, Genna decided it'd be best for her to answer.

"Like Delilah said, it was just a misunderstanding."

"Mmm," Adam hummed as he brought his hand up and rubbed his chin, eyeing the blonde who still refused to look anywhere but down. "Is that right?"

"Yes, sir," Genna answered strongly.

Adam's narrowed eyes shifted to her's. He didn't actually need an explanation, he was merely biding himself some time as he tried to decide how to move forward. He had been in his room when the argument first began and the moment their voices started to raise, the intensity of their tones urged him to see what the issue was. Deciding to linger in the door way, not necessarily hiding but not making his presence clearly known, he wanted to see how the sisters would handle their opposing views over such a sensitive topic.