PERCH IN MY HEART

Once Anne had a number in hand, Adam made the call. Within days, Genna had her first meeting with a therapist and every visit that followed was the same. Twice a week, he would drive her to the office after school; her fidgeting in the seat beside him, knee bouncing with fingernails being shredded by nervous teeth. He would sit in the waiting room flipping through a magazine, unable to read a damn thing. Then his heart would shatter into a million pieces when she would walk out an hour later with a flushed face and puffy, red-rimmed eyes. She would cling to him for several minutes before they would drive home in silence. She would do her school work, pick at her dinner, and go to bed.

Genna was in a near constant state of emotional exhaustion for the first two weeks. By the third, Adam saw the stirrings of change within her as they incorporated a new aspect of suggested therapy at home. Each night before bed, Adam would lie silently beside her, running his fingers through her hair as she laid her head on his chest. She'd listen to his heartbeat, finding comfort in its steady rhythm, but being able to avoid his eyes was what made it easier for her words to flow. There was no judgement. No pressure. All she had to do was talk candidly to him for a minimum of ten minutes, about anything she wanted. Adam's physical contact and emotional availability established an open line of communication, and the routine of it enforced the notion that she wasn't alone. Though her mother was gone, her father was there.

With time, and the more Adam's consistency reassured her, those nightly talks shifted from casual weather and school topics, to heavier themes. She'd share what therapy was like, what was still troubling her, and often fall asleep having cried herself out with his shirt gripped in an anguished fist.

In several more weeks, she was no longer constrained by her painful anxiety. Their time together became lighthearted. Adam noticed how she'd lie on her stomach and prop herself up beside him, leaning in to soak up his comfort as she spoke. Eventually, their nights all ended in laughter. Her head being placed upon her pillow with a smile was a stark difference from when it was laid upon wet fabric drenched from her tears.

After a long, grueling month and a half, Genna had finally gained enough confidence to broach the issue with Archer. She was met with an understanding and forgiving heart and the pair had grown impossibly closer. It was in this moment of acceptance, how he had still cared for her through the ups and downs, that she declared to the universe, he was a piece she'd never lose...

Adam's truck idled in the school pick up line while his eyes scanned the sea of students making their way out of the building. Once he spotted Genna, his heart relaxed at the sight. Her tense posture with brows furrowed in deep thought weren't there. They hadn't been for a while. She walked with an ease about her that he couldn't describe how refreshing it was to see.

"There's my sunshine!" he greeted with a smile as she hopped into the truck.

Genna leaned over and kissed his cheek. "Hey, Dad. How was your day?"

"Good, yours?"

Bobbing her head, she shrugged. "It was alright. I think I may have failed my math test."

"Meh," Adam gave her a warm smile and shrugged too. "Ya win some, ya lose some. Lemme know when you got another test, I think I know somebody that might be able to help you."

Genna shook her head and laughed, "Anne's gonna kill me."

"I'm sure she'll wanna go over it with you, but she ain't gonna kill you, she loves... she..." he cleared his throat and shook his head to rearrange his thoughts. "Uh, she'll help show you where ya went wrong."

Brown eyes darted over to the driver's seat. Genna watched as a scarlet flush crept up Adam's neck. A similar flush flourished within her chest and she turned her face away to hide her widening smile. A comfortable silence stretched out between them as they drove toward the office.