BETTER DAYS WOULD COME

"Your insolence ain't shit compared to my intolerance. Not anymore."

Adam's words rang like fire alarms in Genna's ears. She stared up into his scolding glare; a war of wills was beginning to emerge and she quickly contemplated the wins versus casualties. Due to what she had stacked against her already, her odds of coming out on top weren't good. She might win the battle, but she knew Adam would inevitably win the war.

"Yes, sir." She finally conceded. She didn't dare to raise her voice above a whisper and she didn't trust herself to say any more than those two words.

With a sharp nod, Adam released her jaw and turned to take his leave. "You stay in this room til I come get you."

"Yes, sir."

Genna watched as the door shut behind him with considerable force. It wasn't like them to part ways still angry. There was always a resolution to every problem, and every problem was always followed by apologies and forgiveness. Not having that left a queasy feeling in the pit of Genna's stomach. She knew Adam wanted a rectification of her behavior but that was literally the last thing on her mind. All she could think about was how she desperately needed a solution to her current predicament: Anne Cutler. Every time she thought of that woman, she felt her home fracture. Splintering into little pieces that fell like needles to the floor. Every step she took from here on out would have to be strategically placed, otherwise she'd only find herself hurt.

It wasn't fair. None of it.

She was in a quandary and she didn't know how to escape it. As she laid in her bed thinking of how she should handle the situation, the only certainty she could surmise was that Anne leaving was out of the question. So after much deliberation, she could only come up with two feasible game plans: caving or fighting.

No... fight or flight.

She gave an acerbic laugh at the irony of those words.

Closing her eyes, she contemplated her options deeply. Would the satisfaction of speaking her mind and telling Anne to shove it where the sun don't shine be worth the consequences? Would the pain of swallowing her pride be worth keeping some sort of peace in the house even though she would still be miserable? Yet again, she felt torn. A quiet growl of frustration escaped her as she thrashed about in a silent tantrum on her bed. She rolled from side to side, kicking her legs and punching her pillows and mattress. By the time she finished, her hair was a mess and she was out of breath, but she felt a little better.

Slowly getting out of bed, she smoothed her hair down and knocked three times on the wall she shared with Delilah's room. It was their secret code when one or both of them were in trouble. Three knocks asked 'are you there?' Two knocks warned that Adam was on his way to the other sister's room. One knock meant to meet at the window for a secret conversation.

Waiting on bated breath, she finally heard a knock in return indicating Delilah was listening. Genna knocked once more and then went to her window.

She smiled when Delilah popped her head out. Her blonde hair moved like golden wheat swaying in the breeze.

"You alright?" Delilah asked.

Warmth filled the brunette. Her sister was always there for her. Always asking if she was okay. Always offering words of wisdom. And that wisdom was exactly what Genna needed.

"Yeah. I just got a question."

"Shoot."

Genna bit her lip. "Okay, so, Dad is hella mad. Like so fucking mad, he slammed the door when he left my room after we talked earlier."