17.

ARJUN :

I looked down to see Mythili, her head on my chest deep in sleep. Her baby hair fanning her forehead, lips slightly parted, the morning sunrays coming through the open window shining on her face, she looked serene.

A smile formed unknowingly seeing her. Kissing her forehead, I laid her down gently on the pillow. I touched her forehead to feel the temperature.

Thank God, fever has subsided. She looked too weak and pale because of this illness. I can sense, her stomach pain was too severe for her to bear. But I couldn't do anything. I remembered previous night's phone call, making my mood sour instantly. Sighing I shook my head not to spoil my morning and went to make something for Mythi to drink.

I went to the kitchen to see Madhu mom busy making coffee.
"Mom, I could have prepared it for you. Atleast rest when you are at your daughter's home." I said going to her.

"It's ok child. I am making this green tea for her. She likes it this way. I am sure she is lazy to make it for herself." She said chuckling.

"What's special in that green tea?" I got curious.
"It's made in milk. I know it feels weird, but trust me, it tastes very good." She said taking a milk bowl.

She boiled some milk first and then added some ginger and green tea leaves and left it to boil.
I was watching her work with ease on coffees and the green tea simultaneously.

"And now add some sugar and let it boil for two minutes." She said adding a spoon of sugar.
Taking a mug she filtered the tea and gave it to me "taste it." She said looking at me expectantly. I took a sip from the cup hesitantly.

The flavours of ginger and green tea bursted in my mouth with a light bitterness. I had to admit it tasted good. "Hmmm really good mom" I complimented. "Told you" she smiled.

"What's happening here?" Mythili asked coming to the kitchen.
"You made green tea? Love you mom !" She said hugging her mother. Her mom just patted her cheek lovingly and turned around to prepare a cup for her.

"You are having this green tea?! You didn't budge on that day when I wanted to make this, saying 'eh who will drink green tea in milk'" She complained taking the tea mug and had a sip.

"You said it in such a ghastly way. Anyone would feel repulsed by that." I scoffed taking another sip from my mug.
She scowled and was about to lash when her mom interrupted "Enough kids. Stop arguing and go freshen up while I prepare breakfast" she said stopping us.

.

It's late in the afternoon, I was on the couch in living room with my laptop, trying to get some work done. Mythili's parents left sometime back and it's just two of us now.

"Why are you frowning so much? Is everything alright?" Mythi asked coming to me. That's when I realised, I was just staring at the screen not doing anything. I sighed.

"Come and sit here" I said patting the space next to me.
Sitting next to me she started massaging my forehead. I sighed again, this time in content, feeling her touch on my forehead and closed my eyes, resting my head on the couch.

"The event's cctv footage was deleted. We still don't know how." I said. I didn't get any reply. I opened my eyes to see her frowning. And she spoke after a few minutes.
"So you think it was intentional?"

"May be, may be not. Ajay is still trying to find out."
"Why can't that be accidental?" She asked after a few minutes.
"Your food getting poisoned might not be an accident too. There can't be two accidents at a time." I emphasized trying to make her understand my point.

"Mythi you need to have a bodyguard." I said hoping she would agree. Ofcourse if she agrees at the first shot she won't be 'Mythili' then.

"No.! I already told you. I don't want someone tailing me. Besides you will be with me right. Then why the bodygard? If as you suspect, someone is out there trying to harm me, can't you protect me?" She questioned raising her eyebrows.

"Don't be silly love. You know I can't be with you all the time. When I was not there, there should be someone to protect you. I will try my damnest to make sure it won't come to that option, but I will be at peace knowing you will be safe."

"Why don't you understand! I won't feel comfortable. I don't want a bodyguard. You are unnecessarily fearing. See Ajay will tell you it was an accident, not intentional." She said fuming.

My anger rose. "You are being really stupid. Not everyone will have good intentions." My voice boomed angrily.
Not replying she stormed into her room and closed the door with a bang.