Dealing with an ex

Mercedes

I put things away after the kids left when I spotted Gary standing in the doorway. Ugh. I didn't need to deal with him right now.

Gary approached me. "Mercedes?"

"Go away, Gary." I put coloring books away.

"Talk to me."

"I have nothing to say to you." I pushed chairs under the table.

"You can't keep avoiding me."

My head snapped to Gary. "Want to bet? Now go away before I call the cops for harassment." I crossed my arms across my chest and glowered at Gary.

"Mercedes?" Sofie asked.

"Oh, hey. Did you need something?" I asked.

Sofie walked toward me. "Odin wanted to know if you were ready to go?"

"Yep." I grabbed my purse and jacket and dragged them on as we walked past Gary.

"This isn't over, Mercedes!"

"Yes, it is, you schmuck!"

Sofie and I hurried to the exit, left the center, and walked to Odin's car. I grabbed the door handle when Gary appeared and got into the backseat. Gary started for the car.

"Drive," I told Odin.

Odin peeled out of the parking lot and drove away from the center. "I'm not sure what's happening. But who was at the center?"

"My slime ball ex," I huffed.

"If the guy is your ex, why did he show up at the center?"

"Gary wanted to lie and tell me he wouldn't cheat on me again."

"How many times has this douche cheated on you?"

"Too many."

Odin looked at me through the rearview mirror. "Where do you live? I'll drop you off."

I gave Odin my address. He pulled up to my apartment building and dropped me off. I unlocked the building door and went upstairs to my apartment.

Why couldn't Gary get it through his thick head? He cheated on me. I had to find another job and a place to live, thanks to him. The worst part is the skeeze worked at some hole-in-the-wall bar. That's how Gary met her. He went to the bar with his buddies and hooked up with a barmaid named Cherisse.

I found out because one of Gary's buddies called me and told me. I showed up at the bar and searched it until I saw Gary and the hoe come out of a bathroom, fixing their clothes. I left, headed home, packed my shit, and left.

Thanks to Sam, I had a place to stay until I found a home. Sam's brother offered to arrest Gary and toss him in prison. I should have let him.

I reheated dinner, ate, changed my clothes, and headed to the Charleston hotel for my shift. It's not like I had a life or a family. Those dreams evaporated when Gary couldn't keep his dick in check.

Jeff changed out the till as I tied my apron.

"Has it been busy?"

"It's been steady. Sam should be here in an hour to help you with the bar."

"I thought she had the night off."

"Harvey called off, so I called Sam to cover his shift."

"At least it won't be boring." I grinned.

Jeff chuckled and took the till to the office. I got the bar set up and ready for the customers. Within twenty minutes, I was serving customers.

Sam arrived a bit frazzled.