Surprise

Odin

After Jordin left the table, I headed to bed and crawled next to Sofie. Sofie stirred, rolled over to face me, and opened her eyes.

"Go back to sleep," I whispered.

Sofie nodded. I laid down and pulled Sofie to me. She dropped her arm around my torso and snuggled into me.

"Jordin is coming with me when I pick you up from the center."

"Hmm."

"I figure he could see Mercedes aside from a bar setting."

"Hmm."

"It seems Jordin has taken a shine to Mercedes."

"That's nice."

My eyelids started to droop when Sofie sat up abruptly. She leaned over, turned on a lamp, and looked at me.

I rubbed my eyes. "Do you mind? I was almost asleep."

"Rewind to Jordin taking a shine to Mercedes, or you won't get any sleep." Sofie wiggled her finger at me.

I pushed myself to a seated position and looked at Sofie. "Jordin has been going to a bar and talking to Mercedes."

"Mercedes works at the Charleston hotel bar. She got the job after dumping her boyfriend."

"Jordin has been going there and talking to her."

Sofie put her palm up to me. "Please tell me your cousin isn't trying to hook up with Mercedes."

"Doubtful since the Cherisse mess."

"Odin, Mercedes isn't someone Jordin can play with. She doesn't play with Marla and Mackenzie."

"Who are Marla and Mackenzie?"

"You met Marla at the bakery when my father's arrest made the headlines."

"Sorry, but you have a lot of friends. It's hard to keep track of them."

Sofie rolled her eyes.

"Who's Mackenzie?"

"Kenzie is the baby sister. She and Marla fight like cats and dogs. Marla runs her mouth, and Kenzie takes exception."

"They sound like the triplets."

"Who are the triplets?"

"Decker, Dixon, and Dyson."

"Oh, right."

"Can we go back to sleep now?"

"Yeah, sure." Sofie turned off the lamp and snuggled into me.

I can see tomorrow will be interesting. I don't think Mercedes told Jordin that she works with Kyler. He's in for a treat.

*******
Jordin

After working, I left with Odin to pick up Sofie. We pulled into the parking lot of the Oakridge Center for Children, got out, walked inside, and noticed Kyler.

"What are you doing here?" Kyler asked us.

"I came to pick up Sofie. Is this news to you?" Odin asked.

Kyler rolled his eyes. "Not you. Him." He pointed to me.

"We're grabbing a bite at the eatery and harassing Ryden. Do you want in?" I asked.

"Oh, hell, yeah. Let me finish here, and I'll meet you there," Kyler said.

We nodded as Kyler walked away. Sofie walked out of a room with Mercedes. My breath caught in my throat, and my palms became sweaty. I shoved my hands in my front jeans pockets.