Netflix and chill

Jordin

I called in an order at the restaurant for Mercedes and me while Mercedes finished her shift. Afterward, I Swung by the restaurant and grabbed our food before heading to Mercedes's place.

We entered Mercedes's apartment, removed our coats, and sat on the couch. I handed Mercedes a styrofoam container and took mine from the bag. We dug into our food.

"Thanks for the food." Mercedes bit into her burger.

"Anytime." I took a bite of my turkey sandwich.

"My ex hated eating this late. He said he didn't want me to put on weight."

"Your ex sounds like a douche."

Mercedes snickered. "Oh, you know the half of it. When I introduced Gary to my family, he made snide comments about them. He said if my sisters were his daughters, he would punish them for their mouths. My dad took exception and belted Gary."

"I would have belted Gary, too."

Mercedes laughed.

"Other people have never disciplined us except for Oliver."

"What about Conner?"

"Conner doesn't want to turn into his dad. My grandfather was an asshole and didn't understand the difference between abuse and discipline. Oliver's punishment was us waxing the pews in the chapel."

Mercedes's brows lifted. "That's an interesting way to discipline your children."

"It was effective and worked for us." I shrugged.

"Oliver and Conner were so sweet when I met them. I couldn't stand Gary's parents. They felt I wasn't up to their standards. If they only knew their precious son liked to cheat on his girlfriends."

I arched my brow. "Your ex is an idiot. I would never cheat on a woman. But again, I never dated anyone.

"Never?"

I shook my head. "Sarah helped with my aversions to relationships. She taught me not to get attached and walk away since she did it to me."

"So, does that mean I get placed in the same category?"

I looked at Mercedes while I ate.

"I want to prepare myself for when you walk away."

I leaned over and brushed my lips against hers until I deepened the kiss. Then I placed my hand behind her head and cradled it. Our mouths moved in sync as our tongues danced around.

I pulled back as Mercedes opened her eyes. "No, you're different." I dropped my hand from her head to her hand, slid my hand into hers, and rubbed the back with my thumb. "I've never felt this way about anyone. When I'm with you, I can be myself. I don't have to hide behind some persona."

Mercedes's lips curved upward.

"Mercedes, I don't lie about where I stand with people. I'm upfront with them. Most women can't accept that and try to push for more. They want me to promise them something I couldn't. But I want to with you if you let me."

"I have trust issues."

"I have relationship issues."

"It won't be easy."

"You haven't made anything easy so far."

"If you lie...."

"I won't."

"Then tell me what you want."

I gazed into Mercedes's chestnut eyes as our eyes locked. "You."

Mercedes nodded, placed her hands on my face, and kissed me. I wrapped my arms around her waist, pressed her body against mine, and deepened the kiss. After a few minutes, we broke from our kiss. Mercedes pulled away and stood up.