It's a relationship thing

Jordin

I stood with Mercedes as I looked at my birth father.

"I don't have an excuse for not meeting you until now. I wanted to find out if you got a loving family."

I nodded. "Yeah. Oliver and Conner are great."

"I'm glad because my biggest fear was that you wouldn't have a loving home. It's the reason I took you to the hospital."

"Wait. What?"

"When Sarah gave birth, I swaddled you, took you to the hospital, and left you with a nurse. If we kept you, Sarah's father would have hurt you."

I didn't know what to say.

"I would like to get to know you if you want."

I looked at my birth father and knitted my brows. He stood in front of me, asking for a chance. I glanced at Mercedes, knowing what my answer was. I lifted my head to him. "Yes."

I saw relief wash over his face as he smiled. It was so bizarre to look at someone who looked like you. I had so many questions.

"Oliver has my number when you're ready."

I nodded as my birth father gave me a slight nod before leaving. I turned to Mercedes. "I just met my birth father."

"How do you feel about it?"

"I'm not sure. I have all these mixed emotions."

"All you can do is meet with your birth father and talk to him."

I nodded, took Mercedes's hand, and led her to my family.

"Well, Jordin, you made the Christmas pageant less boring," Casper smirked.

I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, that reminds me. I will see you and Mercedes here on Monday to wax the pews," Oliver said.

"What?" I asked.

"Since you both couldn't keep your emotions in check, you can wax the pews."

I groaned. I hated waxing the damn pews.

Oliver turned to Mercedes. "Before you protest, I spoke to Kyler and Gabe. They agreed to give you the day off to help Jordin."

Mercedes stared at Oliver with her mouth agape.

"Next time, follow the script." Oliver shrugged and turned to greet other people.

Odin and Sofie made their way to us. Sofie threw her arms around Mercedes. They hugged, then talked a mile a minute.

"Is this what a relationship consists of? Your girlfriend gossiping with her friends while talking a mile a minute?" I asked Odin.

"Yep or your girlfriend drags you into their schemes."

I looked at Odin and arched my brow.

"Welcome to having a girlfriend because it's a relationship thing."

I shook my head and chuckled.

After socializing with everyone, Mercedes and I left and headed to her apartment. We had to make up for lost time. Plus, I wanted to talk to her.

We entered Mercedes's apartment, removed our coats, and walked into the kitchen. Mercedes grabbed two beers and handed me one before we sat on the couch. We kicked off our shoes and propped our feet on the coffee table.

I wrapped my arm around Mercedes. She snuggled into me while we drank our beers.

"Why didn't you tell me that Cherisse showed up at the restaurant?" I asked.