Meeting

Jordin

After the paternity test results, I contacted James to meet with him at the bakery. He agreed to meet me. I had questions for him.

The following day, I arrived at the bakery to find James sitting at a table alone. I approached the table.

James noticed me standing there and stood up. "Hi, Jordin."

"Hey."

"I ordered you a coffee. I wasn't sure what you took in it." James gestured to the black coffee placed on an empty chair.

"Black is fine."

"Shall we sit?"

I nodded and took a seat as James followed suit. I picked up my coffee and took a sip.

"I wasn't sure if you would meet with me." James looked at his coffee cup and turned it in his hands.

"Why?"

James lifted his face to me. "I didn't want to distrust your life since Sarah did it enough."

I leaned on the table and looked at James. "I can make my own decisions. Plus, I have questions."

"You can ask whatever you want."

"Is it true the condom broke?"

James knitted his brows and nodded. I rubbed the side of my face.

"But I didn't want Sarah to end the pregnancy."

I looked at James in confusion.

"We argued about it. I told Sarah I would tell my parents and contact an attorney if she ended the pregnancy. I don't believe in terminating a pregnancy. So, she hid the pregnancy until she went into labor. We rented a motel room where she had you. Afterward, I swaddled you in a blanket and took you to a hospital."

"If you don't believe in ending a pregnancy, why didn't you keep me?"

"Sarah was sixteen, and I was seventeen. We were still in high school and too young to raise a baby. Plus, I knew what Sarah's father was like. If her father found out about you, he would have forced Sarah to end the pregnancy."

I furrowed my brows.

"Even if I was too young to raise you, I wanted to protect you. You deserved a chance at life even if we had an unplanned pregnancy."

I didn't know what to say.

"After I graduated high school, I searched for you."

My face snapped to James.

"I wanted to find out if you had a good home with loving parents. So, I contacted the social worker who handled your case. He couldn't give me any information since you had a closed adoption, but he suggested I attend church."

"What?"

James nodded. "I remember when I attended church for the first time. I saw this little boy with blonde hair toddling around. Then I overheard someone call you Jordin. It was the same name the social worker used when he met with us."

"What happened between you and Sarah?"

"After we met with the social worker and our parents, we broke up. I contacted her when I decided to look for you. She told me not to bother."

"Wait. What?"

"I asked Sarah if she knew where you were. She told me no."

"That's a lie. Sarah knew where I was. She would visit me because my dads allowed her to see me."