A snake is still a snake

Mercedes

I left the center and drove home to change for the restaurant. During my drive, I contemplated what my dad and Kyler said. Maybe I should hear Jordin out.

After pulling into the parking lot and exiting the car, I walked toward my building to find Gary waiting for me. Oh, God. Why me? 

I walked to my door, ignoring Gary's presence, hoping he got the hint, and left.

"Mercedes."

I guess not.

"Mercedes, talk to me."

I turned to Gary and crossed my arms across my chest. "I have nothing to say to you. Why must you insist on showing up wherever I am?"

Gary took a step close to me and moved a strand of hair behind my hair. Before, that would melt me, but now it makes my stomach turn.

I swatted his hand away. "Don't touch me. You lost that right when you stuck your dick in that whore."

Gary shoved his hand in his pants pocket. "Mercedes, how many times do I need to apologize before you forgive me?"

"There will never be endless apologizes from you for me to forgive you."

"Be reasonable, Mercedes."

I lowered my hands and clenched my fists. "Reasonable? You want me to be reasonable." I stepped toward Gary as he stepped backward with his hands up. "You're a selfish, self-center prick who thought with his. You didn't give a shit about me when you stuck your dick into another person. You beg for forgiveness, but that wasn't the only time you cheated on me."

"Mercedes, I was weak."

Weak? Did I hear this douche correctly? He's making fucking excuses for his choices. Wow.

"Mercedes?"

I pushed my lips outward, nodded my head, and hauled off and clocked him in the face. It's a good thing I was wearing leather gloves.

"Jesus, Mercedes!" Gary's head snapped up.

I decked Gary again. Before he had a chance to recover, I kneed him in the junk and pushed him to the ground. Anger has a way of giving you exceptional strength when it comes to a guy.

I hurried inside to change before my shift.

*******
Jordin

After work, I helped my dad with the stage set for the pageant. "When is Casper coming home?"

"Your brother and the others are heading home next week."

"Is the family coming to the pageant?"

"Yeah. Then everyone is celebrating Christmas with their families."

I nodded as we arranged the structures on the stage.

"Is Mercedes coming?"

"I don't know since I haven't spoken to her." I shrugged.

"I'm sure you'll get to speak to her."

"Doubtful, but thanks for the vote of confidence."

My dad didn't say anything else about it. What could he say?

After finishing, we left the church and headed home. When I arrived, I got out and walked to the house. Once I reached the house, I heard car doors opening and shutting and turned around to see Mercedes's ex and his buddies walking toward me.

Her ex reached me and stopped. "You said you have people, but I don't see them."

I looked at Mercedes's ex. "Give me a minute." I opened the door and whistled.