Waxing the pews

Jordin

I woke up to find Mercedes snuggled against me, and I wrapped my arms around her.

Mercedes stirred, opened her eyes, and yawned. "Morning."

"Morning, baby. Did you sleep well?"

Mercedes looked at me and arched her brow. "Yeah, thanks to you."

I chuckled. "It's not my fault you made me wait."

"Good things come to those who wait. Plus, I didn't want to be another notch on your bedpost."

"Trust me. You aren't another notch on my bedpost." I stroked her arm with the tip of my fingers.

"That's a relief because I would have to hurt you."

I rolled my eyes. "Can you explain something to me?"

"What?"

"Why in the hell would your ex cheat on you?"

Mercedes sat up and wrapped the blankets around her as I followed suit. "My ex is a schmuck."

"A big one."

"Gary seemed like a great guy when we met. Then he changed."

"Guys, don't change when you get into a relationship. They hide their true colors better."

"How would you know? You've never had a girlfriend beside me."

"It doesn't mean I don't understand people. I have family members that have been married for years. They don't take relationships lightly."

"Do you have any divorced family members?"

"Beats me." I shrugged.

Before Mercedes spoke, my phone rang. I grabbed it, noticed Oliver calling me, and answered.

Where are you?

"I'm in bed. Why?"

Did you forget that you're waxing the pews?

"No, I didn't forget." I rolled my eyes.

Good. Now get your ass to the chapel and bring your cohort with you. You will think twice before ruining my pageant. Oliver ended the call.

I shook my head. "We need to get ready to head to the chapel. Oliver is chomping at the bit to punish us for ruining his pageant."

Mercedes sighed. Yeah, I feel her pain. I hated waxing the pews.

*******
Mercedes

After showering and dressing, we left my apartment. Jordin stopped by the bakery to grab coffee and breakfast sandwiches. I'm glad that he did because I was starving.

We arrived at the chapel and hurried inside. I shivered from the cold temperature outside. Oliver spotted us, walked toward us, and greeted us. Jordin handed him a coffee. Oliver took it and led us to his office.

Once inside, we sat down. Jordin pulled out the breakfast sandwiches and handed one to us. I unwrapped mine and bit into it.

"Did you contact James?" Oliver asked Jordin.

"Not yet. I'm working up the nerve to call him." Jordin took a bite of his sandwich and chewed.

"If you want me to go with you, let me know."

Jordin nodded. "Thanks, but I think this is something I need to do alone."

"The offer still stands."

Jordin looked at Oliver and swallowed. "Don't worry. You and Conner are still my dads."