Release

Jordin

After a few days, the hospital released me. My dads took me home so I could rest. I didn't mind seeing the family, but I needed a break from their chaos.

After getting situated, my phone rang with Casper's name flashing on the screen. "Hello?"

Conner said you landed yourself in the hospital.

"Yeah, I wasn't feeling good."

How are you feeling now?

"Better. The doctor wants me to take it easy for a few days."

Well, get better because I'm coming home for Thanksgiving.

"Oh, joy."

Yeah, I thought so.

"Smartass."

It's better than being a dumbass. I'll talk to you later. Casper ended the call.

I looked at Conner and arched my brow. "You didn't tell Casper what happened, did you?"

"I didn't want your brother to worry," Conner said.

"Yeah, because Casper would come home and want to find the person who did this."

"No, your brother needs to stay put. At least we know where he is," Oliver said.

I sat on the couch while Conner hovered. Someone knocked on the front door. Oliver answered it as Mercedes stepped inside.

"I hope you don't mind if I stop by. Kyler said it was okay," Mercedes mentioned.

"I don't think Jordin minds. Can I take your coat?" Oliver asked.

"Sure." Mercedes removed her coat and handed it to my dad, then joined me on the couch.

"Conner and I will be in the kitchen." Oliver dragged Conner into the kitchen before Conner could respond.

Real subtle there, Dad.

"Your dads aren't good with subtly, are they?" Mercedes asked me.

"Not really." I shrugged. "What brings you to my neck of the woods?"

"I wanted to check on you to ensure you're okay."

"The effects of the drug are still wearing off. But I don't feel like I'm in a fog."

"The police are investigating the restaurant. They want to ensure the owner wasn't involved with what happened to you."

"Gabe would never harm us."

"It's protocol with the cops. When we discover someone abusing a child, the police will investigate us."

"I didn't know that."

"We've become so accustomed to it that we cooperate."

"You don't seem too upset about what happened at the restaurant."

"It's better to keep your head than lose it with situations." Mercedes gave me a reassuring smile. "Now, can we discuss you introducing me to your family as your girl?"

"Isn't that what you are?"

"I figured we would talk about it before you jumped the gun."

"I've never introduced a girl to my family or pursued them. I doubt I'm jumping the gun." I quirked my brow at Mercedes.

"I prefer to ease into things."

"Were you the girl that eased into a cold pool instead of jumping in and getting it over with?"