Mercedes, meet Grammy Luna, a crazy quint

Jordin

After dropping my bombshell at the hospital, Grammy Luna kept hounding me to bring Mercedes over for dinner. I tried to put it off, but Oliver cornered me about it. I finally conceded and talked to Mercedes. She agreed to visit my grandparents.

At least I'm learning how to communicate.

Mercedes and I arrived at my grandparents' house and entered. Grammy spotted us from the couch and smiled. Grandpa Major noticed us from his recliner, got up, and helped Grammy from her seat.

Grammy shuffled over to us and hugged me. "Hey, booboo." Then she released me and glanced at Mercedes.

"Grammy, I want you to meet Mercedes. Mercedes, this is my grammy Luna and my grandpa Major," I said.

"It's lovely to meet you both." Mercedes extended her hand to my grandparents.

Grammy glanced at Mercedes's extended hand and rolled her eyes. "I deserve more than a handshake. Hug me." Grammy held open her arms and waved her fingers.

Mercedes hugged Grammy as Grammy returned it.

Grammy released Mercedes. "Much better."

Grandpa Major hugged Mercedes, too.

"Come and have a seat at the dining room table." Grammy waved at us to follow her. "Dinner is almost ready."

"What's for dinner?" I asked.

"We're having lasagna," Grandpa said.

"Works for me." I rubbed my hands together, walked over to a chair, and pulled it out for Mercedes.

Mercedes sat down. Then I sat beside her. Grandpa helped Grammy with dinner, carried the lasagna pan to the table, and placed it on a potholder. Grammy brought a plate of sliced garlic toast and set it on the table.

We handed our plates to Grandpa as he dished the lasagna onto the plate and handed them back to us. Once everyone had their food, we dug into it.

"Thank you for inviting me to dinner," Mercedes said.

"Oh, you don't need to thank us. We wanted to meet the woman who captured this one's heart." Grammy pointed at me with her fork.

"Grammy, Mercedes, and I haven't taken that next step yet," I mentioned.

"No, but you will. Trust me. It took forever for Major and me to get on the same page."

"No, it didn't," Grandpa said.

Grammy looked at Grandpa. "It took us three times to get married. Three." Grammy held up three fingers.

"Did you forget your siblings and my brothers and cousins had their hands in the mix the first time?"

"No, I didn't forget. My dad wanted to break everyone's legs."

"I doubt your dad wanted to hurt your sisters."

"You didn't know my dad well. He didn't discriminate with us and beat our asses if we screwed up."

"What about the second time?"

"Oh, do you mean when you decided it was a mistake?"

"How is coming to your senses a mistake?"

"When you hooked up with a crazy librarian while we were apart."

"Luna, I regret hooking up with that crazy bitch. But it all worked out in the end."

"If you say so." Grammy shrugged and took a bite of her food.