Eight years

Jordin

I waited a week after New Year's Day to see Sarah. I needed to figure out what I wanted to say to her. What do you say to the woman you haven't spoken to in eight years?

A woman that floated in and out of your life and who made you think you weren't good enough for anyone—the same woman who made you question your existence and doubt yourself. Eight years is a long time to mull over all these questions and lingering doubts.

I sat in my car and waited until Sarah's husband and kids left for the day. I didn't want an audience when I spoke to her. She owes me for the bullshit she pulled.

Once her family had left, I got out of the car and strode to her front door. I stood there and waited while I gathered my nerve to knock on that door. After a few minutes, I tapped on it.

The front door opened, and Sarah appeared with a smile while wearing her pajamas. Her smile faded as she stared at me. Sarah wrapped her arms around her body. "Jordin."

"It surprises me that you remembered my name."

"Would you like to come in?"

I brushed past Sarah and entered her house.

She closed the door as I stood in the foyer. "Would you like some coffee?"

"Nope. I won't be staying."

Sarah shifted in her spot and rubbed her palms together. "It's been a while since I last saw you."

"Eight years."

Sarah looked at me. "What?"

"It's been eight years since you last saw me."

"Oh." Sarah averted her gaze.

"That's all you have to say is, oh?"

Sarah knitted her brows.

"I met James."

Sarah stared at me with her mouth agape.

"James told me the truth about what happened. He said the condom broke, resulting in an unplanned pregnancy. But he didn't believe in ending the pregnancy and took me to the hospital when I was born, unlike what you told my dad, Oliver."

Sarah stared at me without saying a word.

"For fifteen years, you floated in and out of my life without a care. You lied to me and everyone else to prove you cared."

"I never lied. I did care."

"Bullshit!"

Sarah's eyes widened as she swallowed.

"You've lied since day one to everyone. You lied about the pregnancy. You lied about dropping me off at the hospital. You lied to James about knowing where I was. You lied about wanting to be a part of my life. You're nothing but a liar."

"That's not true." Sarah shook her head.

"You're lying now!"

"I didn't have a choice! You didn't know my father! He would have made me end the pregnancy!"

"Then you should have fought for me!"

Sarah stared at me with furrowed brows.

"When you love someone, you protect them. You fight for them. You do everything in your power to help them. It's a simple concept that you missed. For what? To save face?"

"You don't understand." Sarah shook her head.

"I don't understand. You told your husband I was a mistake because the fucking condom broke! Do you have any idea what you did to me?"