Grantaire

In the morning, it was not warmer than the night before. Pulling the coat closer to herself, Eloise rubbed her side which was very uncomfortable last night. Reaching into the pocket Eloise discovered the source of her irritation, fifty francs. The man had given her a good coat and fifty francs! Instantly she saw that he meant no offense the other day. Eloise was determined to thank him in some way.
Eloise walked out of the alley and towards the market place. She took the coins out of the pocket to count them once more, not believing the miracle. A piece of paper fell out onto the ground.

Clasping the coins in her hand, she bent down to retrieve what had fallen. It was a letter either sent by or sent to the man. An idea formed in her head. She would go to the addresses to find him, thank him, and probably give half the money back. Eloise figured that since he ha the letter in his person, he was most likely sending so she decided to try the senders address first.
The address lead Eloise to a small, lower class apartments. Surely this couldn't be the right place for such a good man, but nevertheless Eloise entering and walked up the stairs to number 75. Raising a hand she knocked on the door and shuffling was heard from inside.

Enjolras had his shirt half buttoned when a knock on the door was heard. "Grantaire, could you see whom it is?" The drunk sleepily lifted his head and stood up and staggered to the door. He always crashed at Enjolras's place when he needed to sleep off a hangover.

The door opened to reveal a man with a tangled black hair abstractly resembling a mop. "Pardon me, Monsieur, but I must have the wrong address. I am looking for a certain man."

"Well, I don't live here, but you could always stop by my flat. I could use a good distraction." Grantaire had no time to say another word before he was slapped, hard.

"Don't speak in such a way, what do you take me for! Would you please tell me whom lives at these addresses?" She handed him the letter and pointed out the addresses written.

Grantaire's eyebrows furrowed together an he opened the door a bit wider and said, "Enjolras, a mademoiselle has stolen your letter and is either looking for you, or your mother."

The door was then opened fully and she the kind man, the one called Enjolras. When she saw him again she realized that he looked more of a boy of seventeen than a man although he sounded wise beyond his years. "Monsieur, pardon my intrusion, but you gave me your coat, and a sum of fifty francs, but I was quite rude yesterday. You left your letter in the pocket and, do forgive me, I used it to find you."

Enjolras was speechless. He did not even notice the letter was gone for it was only to his mother to wish her well. "No thanks is needed, none for me. Just express gratitude by living well."

Grantaire, with a pang of gloom, had noticed that the well-spoken Enjolras suddenly became soft and distracted around this urchin who could be no older the sixteen. "Tell me, mademoiselle, do you have an honorable job?"

"No job at all and no disrespect but I wouldn't your money for anything." Eloise was still offended by this man called Grantaire and could smell the stale scent of liquor in his words.

"Go to the Café Musian, tell them their best customer recommends you for employment." At this he said, "Good day, mademoiselle." And shut the door, laughing to himself.

By the time Enjolras had waltzed around Grantaire and re-opened the door, the girl was gone, headed back to the streets. "Why did you do that?"

"Because I know she stole a sliver of your heart from Patria." Then he added under his breath, "That's more I ever have and will."

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Eloise wandered for a bit and considered the possibility of a job. It must pay at least a small sum and that would be better than begging an rummaging trash bins. And she did think she'd like to see Enjolras again and if his friend was a frequent customer he could be too. So Eloise began to search for the café.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

It soon grew dark and Eloise was hopelessly lost on the streets of Paris. Every noise made her jump because she knew it was not safe for anyone to wander the streets alone at night. Eloise saw a shadow out of the corner of her eye. She began to speed up her pace, but she wasn't fast enough. A rough hand covered her mouth and dragged her through the darkness