Chapter 38

"Look whose back," Anthony's voice sounds as soon as the door opens. "It was such a good time having the place to ourselves."

"Shut up, Anthony," Lamar says, still holding me in his arms. "I'd recommend you treat us with more respect."

"And why?" Anthony says as he comes into view, holding a bottle in his hand. His legs are wobbly, he seems to be struggling to stand straight.

A memory flashes through my mind.

"Christine," my father says. "I hope you find this reasonable, but I know want to even smell alcohol in this house. If I find out you're drinking under-aged, you will be punished, got that?"

"I don't see how I could find this reasonable," she says. "I don't do anything wrong! I'm a straight A student! I should have at least some freedom!"

"Just because you get good grades doesn't mean you should be aloud to break the faction rules. If you choose Dauntless at the Choosing Ceremony in 2 years, it would be legal. But not here, not now."

"Get that out of my house," I say, my voice cold.

"What are you gonna do, Stella?" Anthony says, his voice slurs.

"I'll kick you out," I say. "It's my house, you'll follow my rules and listen to my opinions and treat me with respect."

He bursts into laughter. "You're house?" He says. "It's my house now!"

Lamar sets me down on my feet, I stand beside him for a moment before he starts towards Anthony. "You'll listen to me, Erudite," he says. "You may be stronger and older than her, but not me. I could fight you off with my hands tied together."

"Pfft, please," Anthony says. "Just because you were my initiation trainer doesn't mean that you have some kind of rule over me."

"Actually, Anthony," Faith's voice comes from somewhere. She comes into view behind Anthony. "It does, because he taught you what you know, means he knows more than you. And he's certainly not lying. He could fight you off with his hands tied together."

"I doubt it," Anthony says. "Even if I were drunk and fought him with no advantage, I would win. Even with a disadvantage."

"You didn't see him train," Faith says. "He worked hard. One of the faction leaders tried to take a fight to him, with the element of surprise, and Storm still came out on top."

"Which leader?" Anthony asks.

"Zach."

I look over at Lamar, he never told me this. Why?

"Anthony," I say. "I want you, all over your alcohol and other drugs out of this house before I go to sleep tonight."

"Fine," he says. He throws the bottle to the ground, it shatters, glass sharps all over the floor. I take a step back, nearly loosing my balance. I fall against a wall. "But I'm sure Alice will want to come with me. You don't want that do you? She's your best friend."

I hesitate. "I'll make what sacrifices I have to. If that's what it'll take to get you out of my house and life. I can't deal with you, not now."

"Oh, what is it now?" He asks. "Is it that you just remembered that you don't have a Mommy to cry to? Just a boyfriend? Your life is so great but you don't see it! I never had a Mommy to cry to! Just a Daddy that told me that if I stayed at Erudite he would kill me!" He is yelling now. "He said he never wanted me! He raped my Mom dead!"

"Anthony, I-" I start.

He starts towards me, Lamar takes several steps back to keep up with him.