Chapter 23

I wake gasping.

        "How . . ?" Alexander asks quietly. He turns to me. "What clues you in, Divergent?" He spits out the word like it takes bitter in his mouth. "I wasn't informed I was working with one of you."

        "What do you think clues me in?" I ask. "I mean, the simulations are flawed."

        Alexander snorts. "I requested not to work with one of you."

        "Oh, because it''ll be too difficult?" I ask. "You can quit if you want."

        "It won't be too difficult," he says. "Just useless, why haven't they killed you yet?"

        "So you think you can control me?" I smirk. "Have fun trying."

        He picks up a stack of papers that have sloppy writing all over them. "I won't be working with you," he says. "Because your population will be wiped out soon enough."

        "Sure," I say. "And what do you plan to do with me?"

        "I hope you enjoy the final few hours of your life," he says.

        "And how does having me killed prove that your good at anything besides torturing innocent people?" I ask.

        "Your friend obviously informed you of what I had done with her," he says. "I hadn't tortured her, although I could have your group of friends that aren't Divergent killed along with her, because of what was implanted in her during the processes."

        "You made her a bomb?" I ask.

        "Well, we were going to use her as a weapon for this war, and since she switched to Dauntless and you were dragged here, we figured we'd  use you. But, since you are Divergent you will be no use to us."

        "So, when are you having me murdered?" I say, my voice shaky.

        "Tomorrow morning."

        "You had this planned?"

        "Yes, just in case."

        "How are you going to win the war now?"

        "We'll be using your boyfriend after we have you executed," he says. "I'll take you back to your room now, enjoy your last few hours."

        I stand and follow him back to my healing room. Lamar sits on my bed, Alice and Anthony sit together on a couch beside it.

        "Stella," Lamar says. He stands and walks over to me, enveloping me in his arms.

        "You're real?" I ask him.

        "Yeah, I'm real," he says. "How about you?"

        "They put you through a simulation, too?" I ask.

        "Yeah, just a few," he says.

        I sigh, they're going to execute me tomorrow morning.

        "Wait," Alice says. "Tomorrow morning? That wasn't part of the plan."

        "What?" I say, pulling Lamar's arms off of me. "Me getting executed was part of the plan, just not the time?"

        "Yes," Lamar says. "I'll explain when we get out." He turns to Alice. "It'll be fine, we'll still be able to get Grace, and if we can't, we'll use the back-up plan like we were before. Everything will be fine."