Chapter 33

White. In my eyes. Blinding me. I turn my head to the side, trying to avoid the blinding light shining in my eyes.

"Stella, oh, my God," he says. His voice is not who I hoped it would be. But talking to my brother will have to do for now.

"Mathew," I say, my voice weak and strained. "How long has it been?"

"Five hours, you got lucky they didn't give you an infection," he says. "They cut you deeper than they should've. And Christine wants to put you through a simulation in 30 minutes."

I groan. "What did you want to talk to me about?" I look down at my arm, a thin material covers my entire forearm. It is the only thing— besides my head— on top of the blanket that uses my body as a mattress.

"Now is not the time for that," he says. "After you recover, we'll discuss. But, for right now—" he stops. Something nudges my wrist, the handle of a knife. I look up, Mathew holds it, I curl my fingers around it carefully. He releases it as I pull it towards me. I hold the knife against my thigh, soon realizing he covered the blade with a plastic casing. I am grateful. I thank him. No sounds escaping my lips as I form the words with them. He nods.

"I better go," he says. He stands and leans over me, his mouth right next to my ear as he partially wraps his arms around me. "I have information on a plan," he whispers. "That's what we need to talk about." He pulls away and walks out with out another word.

* * *

"Hold her down," Christine says. Her fingers curled around a syringe, ready to inject me with it like she's done this a million times. Three guards start towards me, their faces expressionless as their hands close around my ankles and wrists. Christine takes a few steps toward me, I feel the needle in my neck, the sharp pain that is so familiar, but just as unsettling as it had been the first time I had been put through a simulation.

 My skin is cold.

 I feel as though my insides are freezing. As if that is how Christine plans to get rid of me when she's done with me.

 It is dark too. Darkness everywhere. Silence accompanying the darkness. Until—

 "Stella!" He cries out for me. His voice is tortured. He calls again. "Stella!"

 I look around for him, only to see the darkness thicken. "Lamar!" I yell. "Lamar! Where are you?"

 He cries out something, not words. Just pain. I scream and start running towards the sound of his voice.

 Then it is bright. The light temporarily blinding me. I force myself to keep running.

 Then, my vision clears. And there he is. A knife in his shoulder, right into his bullet wound. His knees buckle. I am immediately on the ground with him, he falls against me.

 "Stella," he gasps. "Stella." His hands press to the small of my back.

 "Lamar," I say. "You're gonna be okay, I promise, you'll be okay."

 He gasps again. "Stella— ahh— Christine," his voice is strained.

 I look over my shoulder to see her, holding a gun, pointing it at us. She squeezes the trigger. Lamar makes no more sounds. I don't feel the thump of his pulse against me anymore. His skull pours red liquid onto me. I scream.

 Guards surround me, pulling me away from him, his body crumples and collapses as soon as I don't support him anymore.

 I scream and scream. I scream until my throat is raw. I scream until I can't hear myself. I scream until I can't think anymore. I scream until a sharp pain stabs my neck. I scream until no more sound escapes my throat.