Chapter 20

Christine takes me to a large meeting area, where several people dressed in complete Erudite blue are seated around a wide circular table. She gestures towards an empty seat, indicating that I should sit there, I do.

        A cloud of whispers puffs up around me, a few people point or gesture towards me, but most only whisper.

        "Silence!" A familiar voice demands. I turn in the direction of the voice and I see Mathew. He doesn't look at me. He takes a seat and clears his throat.

        "Thank you, Mathew," Christine says. "So, we are gathered here due to an important . . . Arrival. One we had not seen coming. I know you've all been talking about her for several days, trying to decide what she would do next. Now, you don't have to guess, we can watch her now -- even use her as a war weapon if we wanted." A war weapon? That's what they want to do with me? "Now, please greet her pleasantly, my own sister, Stella Thorn, you may rise."

        I hesitantly stand, nothing happens for a moment, then the cloud of whispers return. And I catch a few words.

        "Get the scientist . . ."

        "What should we . . ."

        "Her? She's related to . . ."

        "No, too weak, she couldn't be used for anything . . ."

        I sigh and sit down again, without permission, I expect to be scolded for it, but Mathew and Christine say nothing. The cloud of whispers die after a few more moments.

        Mathew clears his throat. "We would like to make a few waves of voting. First, should Stella be in the room for the decision of her fate? If so, raise your right hand."

        I count how many hands go up, 12. And how many stay down, 10.

        I'll be in here when they decide what to do with me.

        Christine says, "Thank you, so Stella, you will remain in the room for the rest of the voting, although, you will not be aloud to decide your fate."

        Decide your fate. Those three words stick in my head. Maybe they'll just kill me and let this be over with. 

        "Use the same process as last voting." Christine says. "Should we allow Dr. Alexander test his new serum on Stella?"

        15 hands go up.

        "Should we use her for the war?"

        13 hands go up.

        These people will do anything to make me suffer. 

        "After the experiment, should we keep her alive?"

        19 hands go up.

        These people are heartless! They're sick!

        "That is all for now, you may all return to your scheduled routines." Mathew says. Everyone stands, besides me, and exits the room.

        Christine returns and says, "I'll take you to your room now, don't worry, nothing will happen tonight, everything will start in 2 days."

        "That doesn't make anything better." I say. "These people are sick. They want to turn me into something I'm not, use it for the war, and then keep me alive? What's wrong with all of you?!"