Chapter 5

"My father," I say, just loud enough for the announcer to hear. "Where is he?" My voice is deep and demanding, I'm almost surprised.

        The crowd of people all turn their heads to look at me, only few gasp, but the sounds echo of the walls. I allow my eye-brows to fall low over my eyes as much as they please. I see the expressions of a few of the crowd members, some full of fear, some intrigued, others just bored. A few crowd members frantically look around, as if they would know my father if they were to see him.

        "Son," someone from the crowd says quietly. For a moment I am confused, the next, I see a man separating himself from the crowd, walking towards Lamar and I quickly. The man's expression shows some happiness, relief, even. Instantly, I realize who he is. Lamar tenses next to me, I refuse to look at him- even glance- for this would loose everyone's attention from the missing person.

        Although, I, almost regrettably, glance at him, stare for a moment at the horror illustrated in his eyes, but hidden in his expression.

        The man is now standing in front of Lamar, a wide smile on his face, showing a few teeth, while Lamar just stares at him, fear written in his eyes.

        "I never thought I'd see you again," the man says. His arms twitch as if he were resisting the urge to move them from his sides.

        "Then why," Lamar says quietly, his voice deep. "Did you leave?"

        "This isn't the time to explain that," the man says, the smile falling from his face. "We'll talk later," the man turns to me. "As for you, Mrs. Thorn, your father and I spoke earlier, he told me he didn't deserve to be here, protected from the war, I had insisted that he did, and, either way, we are not safe anywhere," he says.

        "Where is he?"  I say quietly, the deep tone hurts my throat.

        "He refused to leave his room, so, I suspect he remains in there," he says. "Although, he may have escaped unnoticed, he seems to have changed over the years."

        I feel my heart pounding against my chest, trying to break through my skin. "Did he say anything else?" My voice cracks, I feel tears rising to my eyes and a lump forming in my throat. He left. My father could be dead now.

        "He told me to protect you," the man says. "Do what he can't, never could, and won't be able to."

        I feel my hands shaking, I need to cry or snap at him or punch him or- anything, really. I feel a hand wrap around my wrist, I know it is Lamar, holding me back from doing anything I'll regret later.

        "Um, hello?" The announcer says into the microphone. "We kind of need all of your names now. Sorry to interrupt."

        The man returns to the crowd, without looking back over his shoulder or another word.

        I take a step towards the announcer, and collapse. I don't hear any of the noise echoing off the walls, the tears spill over my eyes. I don't make any sounds.

        Lamar's hands wrap around both my arms, he pulls me to my feet just before I fall into his chest, my tears sliding from my face to his shirt.

        "Come forward and give us your names, please," I hear the announcer say.

        "Just give us a minute!" I hear Lamar yell.

        "Oh, no!" I hear an unknown voice say. "Aggression!"

        "That isn't aggression," the announcer states. "Only delay, give them a few moments."

        I open my eyes and look up at Lamar, he wipes the tears from my face with his thumb. I glance at the crowd and announcer before us, it seems that every head is turned to look at us, as if they were trying to predict our next move.

        Though, I'm sure they can't.

        I slowly pull away from Lamar, refusing to look at him, I'd rather not see his expression.

        I turn to face the door, as quickly as I can, and run. I know people are yelling at me to stop, but not Lamar, I do not hear his voice in the chorus of noise.

        I suddenly hear quick foot-steps behind me. I keep myself from looking over my shoulder to see who it is, I  already know, and I don't need to be slowed.

        I push through the doors of the cafeteria and run as fast as I can, soon, I am sprinting. The world whisks by until I am at my father's room's door. I wrap my hand around the door-knob and twist it- it doesn't budge- I twist it the other direction.

        The door is locked.

        I suddenly feel colder. I release the door-knob. My fingers curl into fists and rise to the door.

        "Dad!" I yell, slamming my hand against the door. "Dad, let me in!" My throat aches with the urge to scream. "DAD!!!"

        My legs buckle beneath me, my hands rest on  my face. My cheeks are already soaking.

        He left.

        He's gone.

        I will never see him again.