CHAPTER FOURTY FIVE- A Dinner and Trouble (I)

Alex had come out of his room after her  but she wasn't there anymore. He stood by her room door contemplating whether to knock. He was sorry for sure.

He'd shouted at her again and he couldn't go to bed haunted like that. How could he?.

Mia was just trying to be of help to whatever he was going through but he didn't need anybody's help, he didn't need her help.

Wait! He do need her help, her beautiful self just standing there and breathing was more than enough help to keep him going.

And when she had suggested going back to Seattle, his heart had stopped beating for some seconds. Hell no, he wont allow that.
And a million no about him being frustrated that they were being intimate. He could tell she was feeling guilty being with him like that when he had someone in his life, she was as see through as a glass to him.

Alex didn't blame her for thinking such. He didn't try to tell her that Veronica wasn't much of that person she thinks she is to him. There was no need to tell her that anymore, he was going to get married to Veronica anyways.

He saw her the next morning during breakfast and had sat by her side. Alex had expected Mia to want to leave but she didn't.

Instead, Mia had greeted him good morning and gave him a warm smile. He wasn't really himself last night and she wasn't going to hold that against him.

"It's okay to be angry sometimes...but it's better to communicate whatever you are feeling" She had told him.

Alex had been gentlemanly enough to apologise, which was something he rarely did. 'Sorry' wasn't a constant in his vocabulary and thinking about it, he had said it twice to her now and he didn't feel strange about it. Maybe because it was her.

"We could...talk...over dinner tonight, if you'd like" Alex had proposed and Mia didn't say no.

But was he really ready to tell her anything?. Maybe it'd be good if he told her everything and just be upright with her. He'd lied to her before by not telling her what he was getting her into but he also  didn't want to admit it to himself and he felt like a villian when she had confronted him with it and yet, he was still lying.

Maybe, they would come to a better understanding if he just tell her; all these thoughts were running through his mind althrough the night.

*

He pulled the chair back for her and Mia sat down, not able to hide her smile at his manly gesture. The table was covered in heavy linen, a bud vase holding some fresh roses at the center. Even without reading a menu, Mia could guess this place was ritzy and luxurious.

Alex sat down opposite her and she eyed him, not too obviously. She didn't think he would pack a suit and a tie for the travel. He was  a business and should always be ready though. Even that thought didn't change the ambiance, it was romantic....as if they were on a dinner date together.

Wait......were they?

She was wearing a rose-red satin silk mild dress  which was well suited for dinner at such fine establishment and he was on suit.

Nah...he just wanted to talk. She blocked that thought from her head and turned to look at the two people of opposite gender sitted at the far corner of the room. They  were obviously a couple with the way they fawned over each other. Her eyes moved to the waiter at another table taking orders and smiling brightly while the middle aged woman laughed gently, she couldn't hear anything they were saying but the image of the lady laughing was contagious. This was the sort of restaurant where speaking above a murmur won't do.

And then finally to the man sitted in front of her.
"This place is beautiful"

"It is" And yet he wasn't looking at her. He opened his menu.