THIRTY SIX

She stood by one of her windows  and watched him exit the car, he wasn't happy; she could see it in his face. They have spent a few times together and she knew his happy face and his normal face. She has watched him come down from his car alot of times.

Mia sat on her bed and listened attentively, waiting to hear sounds of him walking to his room but there was no sound. She took out a book and read for a while, waiting for any sound but still no sound. She waited for almost an hour and eventually gave in to sleep.

She woke up thirty minutes later and quickly remembered where she left off. For some reason, she wanted to know if he was okay. Mia wore a robe over her night wear and left her room. She walked towards his room first and took the courage to knock.

If he could come in hers, she could go into his too. She doesn't necessarily need to go in, just knock and if he replies, ask if he was okay.

She knocked but there was no answer. Mia took a deep breath before pressing on the door knob, opening the door. She peeped inside the room, he wasn't inside. The bed was made and everything orderly arranged, there was no sign that someone had entered the room after one of the maids must have cleaned it.

Mia also looked at the sitting room upstairs as she decided to look for him downstairs, he wasn't there either. The main sitting room lights were turned off but lights from other parts of the house made it bright enough to see. As she climbed down the stairs, she heard the sound of shattered glasses.

"Alex" She called out as she hurried down the stairs, carefully, to where the sound had come from; the dinning area. She saw him seated at the head of the table.

"Alex?....are you okay? Did you hurt yourself?"  Mia asked and held his hand, looking to see if he had a cut. She didn't know where this sudden worry and care for him came from but when she heard the sound of shattered glasses, all she wanted to know and see was he was fine.

Was this feeling steming from their few moments together?.

Alex had come here straight after the dinner, stressed and angry. He decided to drink and smoke his problem out of his head even if it was for just a short time.  He had already downed the first bottle of whiskey and was almost done with the second one. He wanted to put some whiskey on the glass but he was too tipsy and drunk, the glass fell from his hand. He wasn't bothered by the broken pieces and took a swig directly from the bottle. He heard her call his name and thought he was imagining it.

He was so obssesed with her and now he was hearing her voice in his head. He thought.

He heard his name again and raised his head, she was really there; calling his name.  He saw the care and fear imprinted on her face for him, he liked it.

"Am fine.... don't worry about me, just go back upstairs" Alex replied, drunk.

Mia felt relieved when she saw he wasn't hurt, the glass must have fell from his hands. She sighed, he must be going through something; he look a mess. His suit jacket was on one of the dinning chairs, his tie hung loosed on his neck and a few of his shirt buttoned was unfastened.

"No, you are obviously not fine. Wait here" she said and bent down to pick the broken glasses. Alex saw what she was about to do, he got up staggering, wanting to stop her.

"Come on, leave those glasses, you are going to hurt yourself" He bent down, holding her hands to stop her.

"You could step on this unknowingly in the state you are. Am sober and can see clearly. Just let me do this" Mia said pushing his hands away from hers. He cares that much, she knows, he won't let her do the littlest things.

Alex, even in his drunken state didn't want her doing stuffs. He held her hands again.

"You are only going to make this cut one of us if you keep insisting" He seemed to have reasoned from her point and let go of her hand.