Chapter Four

Verena walked with Rhaenyra and Alicent to their seats at the tournament.
They sat down in their place.
As King Viserys spoke his speech and then announced that Queen Aemma had began her labours.

Rhaenyra looked at Verena anxiously.
Verena softly grabbed onto her hand and rubbed her thumb alongside her hand.
A silent acknowledgement that Verena knew her fears but would never let Rhaenyra battle them alone.

Rhaenyra asked about an unfamiliar knight.
And was told his name was
Ser Criston Cole.
Rhaenyra looked at Verena and Alicent with confusion.

"I've never heard of House Cole."

Admittedly Verena had never heard of it either. So she wore a look of confusion as well.

Suddenly Lord Boremund Baratheon asked for in his own words.
'The Queen that never was.'
Rhaenys although irritated wished him good fortune as her husband, Lord Corlys Velayron looked angry and said,

"You could have Baratheon's tongue for that!"

Rhaenys replied,

"It would never change the order of succession husband.
Let them wag."

Verena always thought the world was made wrong.
Women were not meant to be pawns for marriage.
Women are strong and powerful and do not need men.
Rhaenyra and Verena commonly said,

'All men must die."
'Valar morghūlis'

They both were confused of the way of the world.
Rhaenyra deserved her birth right but alas the world was not built for women.
It was built for men.

Rhaenyra opens up with some gossip she heard from her father or gods knows where.

"Lord Stokeworth's daughter is promised to that young Tarly squire."

Alicent replied with,

"Lord Massey's son?"

"Mm-hm
They're to be married as soon as he wins his knighthood."

Verena giggled to herself then looked at both of them while saying,

"Best get on with it."

Alicent then spoke sheepishly,

"I heard that Lady Elinor is hiding a swollen belly beneath her dress."

All three of the girls fell into laughter while getting dirty looks from those around them especially Verena and Alicent's
father which made them close their mouths until Rhaenyra started talking to Ser Harold about Ser Cristin Cole.

Suddenly the Masters of Revels spoke announcing,

"Prince Daemon of House Targaryen, Prince of the Ciry, will now choose his first opponent."

Cheering bursted through the crowds. As Verena looked back and forth from Daemon to Rhaenyra and then his opponent was announced.
Verena's brother.
Her brother never really looked Verena's way, she would always be the babe who killed his mother. He allowed father to poison his mind whereas Alicent tried to remain silent about her resentment.
But Verena always knew.
She always knew.