~Secret Code~

I wake up with a sudden jerk.
Sweat trickles down my forehead and my breaths are heavy.

I try  steadying  my breathing and look around. I breath a sigh of relief when I see that I'm still  in my room, laying in bed.

All of that was probably just a nightmare. These nightmares are increasing day by day. There hasn't been a single day from two weeks that I haven't had a nightmare.

I push the strands of hair while were falling on my face, behind my ear. I throw the blankets off me and stand up. I yawn as I go over to the mirror in the corner of me room.

There are dark bags beneath my eyes and I can't go outside like that. I take out my makeup kit and settle it on my bed.
I take out a new pair of clothes from my cupboard, a blue fannel shirt with black skinny tight jeans.

After Changing my clothes and tying my hair into a high pony tail I apply some make up to cover up the bags underneath my eyes.

Going downstairs and into the kitchen I find breakfast ready. With a cute little card with it. Smiling I open it up. Yes it was a birthday card from my parents.

I turned the card over and found a yellow page taped to it.
'Eat breakfast, and don't be late for school, take care -mum'
I let out a chuckle, my mom still treated me like a kid even though I was seventeen now.

I sit down in the chair, but as soom as I'm about to eat I hear the door bell ring.

Weird, I think.
Who would come here at this time?

I go to the door and open it. Outside stands a women, her light brown hair tied into a messy bun. My mom. But what was she doing here? She was supposed to be at work.

"Mom?" I ask questioningly," what are you doing here?"

"Sweetie, its your birthday, and that's why i planned to come home early."

We both go back inside the house. I sit on a couch and my moms puts her bag on the table and hangs her coat. She comes and sits with me. There is silence in the room.

My mom keeps looking here and there, a worried expression on her face.

"Mom?"I say.
"Yes?" She answers.
"Is there something you're not telling me?"
"No, no, its nothing." She smiles. Fake.

I eye her as she nervously keeps looking here and there.
Suddenly her eyes go wide and fix on something outside the window. I try to look but see nothing.
Now I definitely know something's wrong.

"Mom what's wrong?" I ask her as I hold her from her shoulders, her eyes still staring at the distance outside the window.
"The code is your name."
"What!?" I instantly remove my hands from her shoulders.
"The code is you name" she repeats a little sternly.

"What are you taking about?" I ask, I would give anything to know what was going on my moms mind. Whatever it is, it isn't good.

My mom gets up too.
" I'll heat the food. Come let's eat lunch, I'm starving." She smiles, trying to change the subject.

I open my mouth to protest but all of a sudden there's a click and all of the windows shatter into little fragments of glass.
Both of us freeze.

What in the world just happened?

I look at my mom, her face full of terror.
"Mom?" I try to say.
"No time for questions ayla, come with me, now!" She yells.

She holds my wrist tightly and and takes me to the store room at the back of the house.
"Go inside!" She commands.
"But why?" I ask.
" I said go inside!" She looks furious.
I have never seen my mom like this.
I go in.
She shuts the door quickly. I hear her footsteps as she goes. I never thought that this would be the last time I would see her.

I suddenly hear gunshots and screams. It feels like there's a war going out there. I don't move, thinking that even the slightest movement could be my biggest mistake, but I can't stay here while my mom is out there.

I burst open the door and just as I'm going to take my first step, I freeze. I see two men standing a few feet away. Those are not ordinary men. Those are the men from my nightmare...