24| The Dungeons [Part II]

You and Rascal approach an old metal gate, slightly ajar. The Burrow looks as if it has been abandoned for months. You cannot remember the last time you came down here, must have been forever ago. Behind the gate lays many tall and dark aisles of drawers and cabinets, containing the files.

It all fades into a pitch black, and even though you are in the deepest part of the chambers, you cannot even see the back it goes on forever.

Using your magic, you summon a lantern from the many scattered across the dungeons. But Rascal has the same idea, both of you lift up lanterns at the same time, look at each other awkwardly in the golden light, then make a start into the first aisle.

"Have you not thought about visiting here?" You ask the joker.

Rascal inhales sharply. "My ma- Emperor Nogo doesn't want me in here~."

"That is suspicious."

"What are you talking about!?" Comes a defensive reply.

"I mean," you say, keeping calm, "you did not just go anyway?"

"I've had other things to do." And it seems like the jester does not want to continue the conversation anymore, so you drop the subject. The both of you continue down, passing drawers of files, still under the names beginning with "A."

You could fly or teleport to get there quicker, but part of you enjoys the joker's presence, and deep down you are sensing the same from him since neither one of you says anything about it. Perhaps Rascal is nervous, you can tell because you look worriedly towards the sockets of his mask, the edges glowing a slight orange.

You do not say anything about though. In fact, your mind is preoccupied by the memories in Rascal's fearscape.

Trying conversation again, you ask, "have you spoken to Nogo lately?"

"No I haven't."

Something inside you relaxes, this means that the Emperor does not know of your visions. And you would like to keep it that way.

Then, the jester giggles. "You're worried about him finding out, aren't you~?"

You are to quick to react, so insanely stupidly, you answer, "finding out what?"

This makes Rascal burst into laughter. Heat flushes your face.

"Oh-ho! You really are a riot (y/n), now tell me – you believe I would let your secret slip just like that?"

"I do not know, jokers tell a lot of jokes don't they? How am I supposed to know whether or not you will keep your word?"

The jester hums. "You are right about jesters, but not to worry~ your secret's safe with me."

"Convincing. If Nogo finds out I doubt he will be impressed, take me off the mission even. You have got it all in your favour."

"Take you off the mission? I think I might throw a little party." He chuckles. "But do you know what I think?~" There is a sudden change in his voice again, you recognise it and your stomach drops.

"What?" You answer as calmly as you can, settling your beating heart.

His grin appears right up close to the side of your face. A chill breaks out across your arms and legs when you feel whisper against your neck, now even closer, putting a clawed hand on your shoulder.

"Oohh I think Emperor Nogo will be very impressed with you for yesterday's success~ You managed to drain negative energy from Glitter Lucky, the strongest out of the bunch~ I'd say that is a good achievement."