35| Behind the mask

For moments later, you stare at Rascal laying opposite you. His face and features – you could stare at them forever, though you are unable to stop wondering what is behind the mask. Does he even have eyes? Are they scratched out? Would Rascal even let you see what is under the mask?

It is like the jester can read your own thoughts.

Rascal looks down at your hand on his face, nearing his mask, exhaling a small breath through his nose.

Then nods.

You stare, again, your heart picking up speed.

Embarrassed, he grunts. "Before I change my mind.~"

Your thumb slides under the bottom edge of the mask. You know it is enchanted to Rascal's command, and now he has purposely deactivated the magic. He trusts you.

Then the mask comes off, you hold it in your hand.

At first Rascal's eyes are closed, circles deeply shadowed with black, fading out to the pale skin around. Then when he finally opens then, you melt.

They are orange with a lighter centre and deep black irises. Just like each descendant of the queen. They are beautiful and almost glow against the black surrounding them. This all contrasts beautifully with his highly arched jester eyebrows, thin and purple.

His purple eyelashes flutter softly, as the joker is unsure where to gaze.

Angelic.

"I'm hideous, aren't I?~" Rascal looks away, ashamed.

You nearly gasp out loud.

"Rascal," you take the side of his face once more, back to your, seeing his eyes soften under your touch, "they are beautiful. You are beautiful. I am in awe."

This takes him by surprise, lips parting slightly. Then finally, there is a small uplift on his face.

"Nothing more beautiful than you dearie~"

Lifting your chin with a finger, he plants his lips gently against yours. 

--

Small chapter today, currently working through writer's block...again 

As promised, here's the full image of my fanart! + altered version to fit one of the scenes from a chapter

made a phone background of it too:)

More fanart coming when I finish it :) 

Next chapter should be out sometime next week