Chapter 4: "Applesauce May 29th"

-Katelyn

"Katelyn?" I turned around slowly to encounter a stranger standing in front of me with mid-length wavy black hair and piercing blue eyes.

"Who are you?!" I yelled in the strangers face, looking her up and down. "Katelyn, don't you recognize me? It's me Luna.." she said softly. I was beyond confused on how she knew my name and how she knew my cousin's name.

"You're.Not.Luna." I pointed my finger in her face as I spoke angrily, my voice cracking a bit from her even mentioning that name. The girl shook her head in denial, "you're not crazy.. it's me.. hold on." She suddenly said. The girl suddenly closed her eyes and her hair went up almost immediately. Just then her black hair turned to a light blonde which was Luna's hair color.

I was still not convinced this was my cousin but I still backed up in shock at the sudden transformation that I didn't even know was possible. The girl looked at me, frowning as she pleaded, "please, I need to talk to you." She begged. I shook my head, holding my hands up. "I don't have time for my mind playing tricks on me! I need to go!" I said angrily as I picked myself up and climbed down the ladder out of the attic.

"Katelyn!" The girl climbed down as well at the same pace, following me down the stairs as I ran as fast as I could to get away from her. I stopped at the end of the stairs and everyone's heads turned to me instantly.

I looked at them in confusion, they all had sorrowful looks on their faces. "W-what happened.." I shakily asked as Morgan inhaled shakily. I looked down at my mother. I shook my head as I had my suspicions on why they were upset.

"No,no no no don't tell me." I shook my head repeatedly. Morgan shook her head, her voice cracking. "Katelyn, I'm so sorry." I dropped to my knees, pressing my palm against my mouth as Ethan came to my side, helping me stay up.

I stared at the ground, tears falling down my cheeks, "oh my god... what if I ran back downstairs sooner.. would she still be alive?" I felt guilty as I looked at them.

"Don't blame yourself." Jason said. I stared at my moms now deceased body on the couch. More tears blurred my vision and my hand was still on my mouth trying to contain my sobs as Ethan pulled my body into him. I buried my head into his chest sobbing uncontrollably to the point I was shaking as he rubbed soft circles on my back.

I grabbed his shirt, scrunching it into my fist. When I stopped shaking I slowly let go to find his white-T covered in my makeup. I turned my head to everyone, w-when did she..." I sniffed.

"Right when you ran upstairs her pulse stopped. Don't blame yourself okay? It's not your fault. She stopped breathing before you got to the attic." Jason said, trying to cheer me up. I got off the stairs and exhaled, slowly walking forward I felt my hair stick to my wet face due to the tears.

Morgan started crying with me after a few seconds. Ethan got up and Jason and Chris walked over. They all hugged me first and then we all pulled each other into a group hug. "It's going to be okay, we have each other." Morgan sniffled trying to convince herself.

"That's right." The girl from earlier who was claiming to be Luna suddenly said from behind us. Everyone turned around in confusion to see her slowly emerging down the stairs. She looked at us smiling when she reached the end.

"Luna...?" Morgan said quietly. I looked at her with widened eyes. "Katelyn, you have to believe me, I'm here to help you." She said. "You can see her?" I asked in confusion and shock. "I can.." Morgan said keeping her eyes on 'Luna'

"It's really me, I can prove it too." The girl said. She pulled out a photograph of me and Luna when we were kids. I looked at the picture in confusion. Just then the girls hair changed back to black like it was her original color.