Chapter 9: "Carter Norman"

Katelyn -
December 22, 2014

{EXPLICIT CONTENT, DON'T READ IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THE UPCOMING RESULTS }

I cuddled into Jason as he played with my curls from behind. It was a comfortable silence but after a few moments I broke it.

"I'm so glad Chance is finally used to the house now." I looked behind me to see Jason staring at the back of my head. He looked into my eyes, "yeah we just have to keep trying to puppy train him." He replied. "Yeah, I think he's getting the hang of it though."

The sound of a dog in a zombie apocalypse might come off dangerous and absurd to some people but we are safe.. for now.

"Me too." He nodded, twirling a loose curl in his fingers, wrapping it around and releasing it. "Wow I just realized this is Chance's first Christmas, well I think." I said. It's been hard figuring out the days but we manage.

"I'm so happy to be spending Christmas with you this year, you know minus the apocalypse." Jason said. I chuckled, "I know I'm so excited." "I'm even more happy that I told you my feelings." He looked down at me, snaking his hands around my waist. I cupped his cheeks, looking into his ocean blue eyes. "Me too."

"So.. this would be our first Christmas together, wow." He said. "I know, time flies only 2 more days until Christmas Eve." I reminded him. "Yeah." Jason grabbed my cheek, leaning in to kiss me before we heard growling and loud noises coming from outside. We recoiled away from each other and stared at the front door.

"Everyone's home, right?" He asked me. He got off the couch but stayed a distance away. "Yeah, everyone is.." I kept my eyes on the door. I got off the couch as well, joining Jason by his side. We slowly inched closer until suddenly the door flew open and out rushed a guy, panting and nearly stumbling over.

We both flinched back at the sight of a survivor after all this time.. that is if he's not bit.. I looked down at the blood trail and then back at him. He was panicking and didn't even turn to look at us yet.

After he caught his breath he finally turned to look at us and jumped in surprise. I furrowed my brows. "Is someone trying to break in or..?"

Luna trailed off when she saw the guy standing by the front door, hunched over which told us he was injured.. I just hope he wasn't bit.

"Or.. something?" She finished her sentence, squinting her eyes at the man. Morgan came down the stairs, standing behind Luna. "Who are you?" Jason questioned in alarm and defensiveness. "I didn't know anyone lived here.. actually I didn't know anyone was alive anymore." The mysterious guy said softly. "Where have you been hiding out?" I asked him.

"The old business center." He said. "That place is overrun with zombies!" Luna said. "Yeah, I know." He said. Jason glanced down at the blood and then looked at his leg as well. "Oh my god.. do we have any bandages?!" He looked around.

"Yeah they're upstairs, I'll be right back!" Luna said, hurrying up the stairs. "Luna I'll help!" Morgan followed her.

"No, you guys don't have to get me bandages.." the guy said. "You're bleeding out!" I looked down at his leg. "Here man, sit down." Jason went over to his side, swinging his arm around his shoulder and carrying his limping body to the couch.

"Thanks." He said, groaning as he sat down. "What's your name?" Jason asked him. "Carter. Carter Norman." He groaned in pain. "I'm Katelyn and that's Jason." I nodded.

"Nice to meet you guys. How long have you been living here?" He asked us. "Well.. I've been here since November but Katelyn has been here much longer than any of us." Jason said.