Chapter 17: "One Step Ahead."

-Hazel

I shook my head, closing my eyes for a moment, not processing what she just said. "Hold on a minute, your what?" "We're dating or well we were dating I honestly don't know if we are anymore."

I tilted my head in confusion. "What do you mean?" I asked her. "Me and Jordan were dating in high school and college but when the apocalypse started I couldn't find him, I didn't know if he was still here anymore until now." She sounded relieved.

"Are you positive that Jason's spirit is your boyfriend?" I asked her. "Hazel I'm positive."

"Did he not recognize you or something , why didn't you say anything?" "I don't know.. he's a spirit though, he would remember me right?" She asked me, frowning.

"Of course he would! Spirits don't lose their memories. But why didn't you say anything?" "I didn't say anything because I was in shock. I mean, I didn't know what to say!" She said.

I sighed, "I think you should talk to him, soon." "You're right, I have to." She nodded. "I need some water." She brushed past me , "okay."

____

Morgan-

"Then I didn't come out of my room for the whole day today except for dinner.." I told Kate. "Morgan I am so sorry!" She put her hand on my shoulder in a sense of comfort. "No it's okay. Derek helped me out today, he was really sweet." I smiled at the memory.

"I'm glad he was there for you." Katelyn moved closer and wrapped her arms around me. I hugged her back as she ran her hands up and down my back.

She released slowly and looked at me with a sad smile. "What happened between you and Zarin? I saw in your eyes how mad you were." I mentioned. "Well.. it started when he asked me out on a date to Vegas. At first.. I told him I may not be ready for a relationship right now but he told me that at the end of the date if I wanted to just stay friends that was okay. I also thought that he was really sweet so I agreed. Then at the party he said he was going to the bathroom, he didn't come back for a long time so I decided look around and find him until I saw him kissing another girl."

My eyes widened. She sounded angry and hurt which is completely reasonable. I clenched my fists, "no!" "Yeah." She sighed, nodding. "I am so sorry." I told her sincerely. She inhaled shakily, "Morgan I can't keep doing this. I'm just sick and tired of these lies." She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand, sniffing.

"Katelyn it's not your fault. Zarin seemed like a good guy when I first met him. What did you do then?.." I asked hesitantly. "I ran off but.. then Chase saw me. I passed out and when I woke up I was in his office. We started talking. He made me feel a lot better honestly." She smiled.

I raised a brow, "Chase? The guy who owns the hotel?" She smiled. "Yeah that's him." She nodded. "What a day, huh?" I leaned my head on her shoulder and her body vibrated when she laughed. I laughed too at the sound.

____
Trinity

I stood by Autumn's office door, contemplating whether to go in. I looked back many times as if about to just walk away but I finally inhaled sharply and built up the courage to walk in.

The door was slightly ajar so I just pushed it but she didn't seem to notice as she had a frown on her face, her face all screwed up as she looked down at papers in front of her. "Uhm.. Autumn?" Her eyes skimmed across the page, "yeah?" She called out with a strong tone.

"There's.. something important I need to tell you, and it's really urgent." I made sure she knew the last part and her face softened in confusion just a little bit. "What is it?" She ran her fingers across the pages.