Chapter 5: "Ill Admit It."

-Ethan: 6:54 PM

That Jason kid had been staying at the house for 4 days. 4 fucking days. He was making Katelyn happy  but all she ever did was hang out with him.

She never hangs out with me anymore, it's always him. And I'm her fucking boyfriend not him, so why? I needed to get to the bottom of this little facade with them but I didn't know where to start.

I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration. I needed a smoke right now to clear my thoughts. I walked down the stairs. My pack was left on the kitchen table.

I stopped when I heard giggling and a masculine laugh. I clutched the railings, my knuckles turning white. Of course she's with him. I walked to the end of the stairs eyeing Katelyn and Jason very close to each other by the sink, washing what looks to be dishes.

I eyed my pack of cigarettes on the table behind them. I decided to hold off on that and listened in on their conversation. "I never knew that!" Katelyn said, gasping. "Oh, yeah right." Jason said. "I'm being serious!" She yelled.

"How could you not know that Miss Bassett flaked on grading her sons second semester of senior year?" He asked her. "She was retiring." Katelyn responded. "Yeah, that's what they all say." He said. Katelyn scoffed, her mouth agape as she playfully hit him on the arm, "shut up!"

He held his arm like that offended him and she giggled. My eyes just watched them intently. She was.. happy with him and it hurt like hell. Ever since he had come along she's always with him, that bastard.

I looked over at them, my knuckles getting tighter on the railing as I saw them slowly closing the gap. Katelyn cleared her throat, making him back up. "So uhm.. I just want to say that I'm grateful for you letting us stay." He whispered but I heard him.

"Jason.." she walked towards him. "You don't have to thank me, I'm just happy that we all met again this way, and not from you finding us unconscious or something." She said. "Yeah, me too.

After that sentence she turned around and started to walk out of the kitchen giving me some sort of relief as I exhaled. "Thanks for helping me with those dishes by the way." She said, smiling. "No problem. Oh you just reminded me!" He said before running off quickly and I watched his every move.

I squinted my eyes when he came back with.. a teddy bear in his hands. He had a big old grin on his face. "I wanted to give you this as a graduation present before you went to college... if I would've known we'd be on the same campus, I would've given it to you much sooner." Jason said, walking towards her.

I watched as Katelyn looked at him in awe as he stopped in front of her, handing her the bear. I hoped she wouldn't take the bear but I guess god wasn't on my side today. "Jason.. it's adorable, you didn't have too!" Katelyn said excitedly, gently snatching the bear from him.

I sighed silently, I kept telling myself it's just a bear but it's the meaning behind the small gesture that makes it so difficult for me not to get upset. I needed to clear my head desperately but for me to get the pack of cigars on the table I needed to wait for them to leave.

"No, I wanted to, really." He said. She smiled up at him. "Thank you.. now I feel bad!"   "Don't, please." He smiled slightly down at her. "Thank you." She said softly. I watched her eyes light up as she looked down at the brown teddy bear. She looked up, connecting eyes with Jason while I watched this whole encounter from afar.

And then.. it was silent.  I was confused because they were just staring at each other. Jason then broke the silence, "well, I should probably go upstairs and see what Chris is up too... I'll see you later." She nodded before Jason turned around. "Night." Katelyn said before he left.