A Childhood Friend

Adri had to drive about four hours to get to Brownville, Nebraska. She checked her phone and realized she had about fifteen voicemail messages from four different people. She had ten from the boys, four from Bobby, and one was an unknown number.

  Adri tried to reach out with her feelings to get the psychic tendencies she usually did, but it wasn't there. 

  "What? There's no way this is happening. "Adri tried to envision where Dean and Sam were but no vision appeared. "W-What?" Her voice shook. "No, no, no, no..." Adri pulled off to the side of the road. She ripped her ring off and left it in her car. She looked around, feeling lost in the middle of nowhere, even though she knew exactly where she was. 

  She saw a scarecrow in the middle of a field. She imagined it coming to life and walking toward her but it didn't move. "Come on." She muttered, tears forming. She can't lose this, she finally was just beginning to understand it and control her abilities. "I haven't had an accident in years, please don't go. Not now!" She put her hands in front of her, curled as if holding two baseballs. She wiggled her fingers, watching the soft grey mist emit from the tips. "Please." She felt her cheeks become wet when she watched the scarecrow get up from the pole and begin to walk creepily toward her. She snapped her fingers and he reappeared on the pole, frozen. 

  "My magic. It's being drained." Adri went to the car and looked at the ring. "There's no point in wearing this if I don't have enough magic that needs to be controlled," She slid the ring into the purse on the passenger seat and began to drive again. She kept an eye on the scarecrow, ensuring it stayed in place. And it did.

   When Adri reached the small town of Brownsville, she hadn't expected everyone to be so welcoming. She checked into the first motel she could see and decided that she needed to read through the file more thoroughly.

  "Hello dear, I'm Mrs.Grey. I'm the motel owner with my husband. We're so happy to have you here." The woman who spoke to Adri was very kind and beautiful. She reminded Adri of her own mother. 

  "Thanks, it's good to be here. I'd like a room for one please." Adri smiled politely, keeping eye contact. Mrs.Grey nodded.

  "Of course, how long will you be staying?"

  "I'm not entirely sure just yet," Adri answered honestly. She didn't know if she would need four days or three weeks. She hoped she could solve the case without any interruptions. 

  "Of course sweetie. I'll put you down for a week at the moment, you can change it any time. What's the name?" 

  "Sally. Sally Kringle." Adri lied easily. But Mrs.Grey seemed to suspect she wasn't being truthful so Adri explained a bit further. "I recently found out I was pregnant but that there are some health problems. I heard how there's an extraordinary support group here and I needed to get away from my husband for a few weeks. He, um, well he wants me to abort the baby and I'm just not sure yet." Adri settled her hand on her stomach. "I don't want him to find me here so I was hoping that my name could be Sally Kringle in the books?" Adri gave her a shy, worried smile and Mrs.Grey leapt to hug the young girl.

  "My darling, what an awful predicament! Of course, of course. We'll keep that between you, me, and my husband as he's the only other who checks the books. I'll make sure of it. Now dear, are you aware of what has been happening with our birthing mothers? It might not be such a good idea to be here all alone." The woman looked at her nervously, obviously worried.

  "I have, but I have to try. I hear that everyone's baby is getting healed, I just want a good future for my baby." Adri soothed. Mrs.Grey understood what she believed Adri's situation and checked the available rooms.