Skin pt 1

"Adri, hey, we're stopping for gas in case you wanted to use the bathroom," Dean gently shook her awake. Her eyes were groggy and heavy but she knew she should try. Who knew when the next time they'd stop would be? Adri slid out of the car, watching out for her shoulder. It had been a week since Adri had fought Bloody Mary. During the week, she had been sleeping constantly, having absolutely no energy. If she woke up it was because her shoulder hurt or Sam woke her for meals and when they were at a motel where she would share a bed with Sam. Currently, they were traveling to Bisbee, Arizona due to finding a highlighted note in John's journal. Dean had taken that as a sign that John must've wanted them to meet him there.

Adri glanced up to the passenger seat where Sam was sitting on his phone. "He's checking his emails from friends," Dean told her, holding the door open for her.

"Alright, I'm going to the bathroom. Both of you behave." She walked past the gas pump and into the building where after getting directions and a key, she went out and around back to a separate building with three different rooms available, all restrooms. She picked one and entered.

In the past week, her magic had been rather glitchy. She still had random visions, but anything more was too much. The only other times she could remember feeling this way was when she had been admitted into hospitals for her heart stopping. The difference was that she couldn't remember using her abilities before the hospital and her ring couldn't separate her abilities from her body. She learned at a young age that the ring had helped to limit the lasting effects of using her abilities but since she found out the demon impersonating her father was using the ring to siphon her energy, she hadn't worn the ring a second longer.

Adri finished and washed her hands, feeling entirely too groggy to stay standing. Her limbs were growing heavy. She could feel Gabriel attempting to poke through, concerned for her well-being. He was supposed to be hunting down her father, not checking up on her.

"I'm fine, Gabby," She mumbled, sending the thought to him. Adri gripped the sink tighter, willing herself to wake up. "Come on, Adri, come on." 

It took her a few minutes, but eventually, she had enough strength to leave the restroom, give back the clerk's keys, and make her way to the Impala where Dean and Sam were arguing.

"We have to go help them. They're my friends," Sam stated. Adri had no clue who they were talking about and all she wanted was to go back to sleep.

"St. Louis is four hundred miles behind us, Sam."

"Dean, he's not going to drop it. Let's just hurry up and go," Adri yawned and curled up, kicking her shoes off. She nodded off a bit, missing the end of the interaction but the next time she remembered waking up, they were in St. Louis and she was snuggling with Dean's flannel.

~~~

The trio waited patiently as Sam knocked on the front door of his friend's home. Adri was leaning on Dean heavily, struggling to keep her eyes open. He wrapped his arm around her waist to keep her steady but was careful to avoid her injured shoulder. She was incredibly grateful for how he was keeping a grip on her, as she didn't really know how long she'd be able to stay standing.

"Oh my God, Sam!" Rebecca exclaimed.

"Well, if it isn't little Becky," Sam teased, a playful glint in his eyes. Dean shook his head.

"You know what you can do with that little Becky crap," She sassed before hugging the younger Winchester. Adri caught her glance and the girl squealed. "Adri!" 

"Hey Beccs," the sleepy girl smiled before leaving Dean's side to hug the blonde. He tensed up as the stranger wrapped her arms around Adri's shoulders. He wondered how the two knew each other. Adri fought back a grimace as the girls separated. Slowly, she stepped back to Dean's side and gripped his arm. Sam and Becky missed the interaction and continued their own conversation.

" I got your e-mail," Sam explained shortly.

"I didn't think that you would come here," Becky shook her head, still smiling at the pleasant surprise before her eyes landed on the one stranger.

"Dean. Older brother," He waved, not letting go of Adri which did not go by unnoticed by Becky.

"Hi," She greeted, sending a raised eyebrow toward the only other female.

" Hi," Dean replied.

"We're here to help. Whatever we can do," Sam continued, breaking up the weird eye conversation Adri and Becky were having.

"Come in." Becky opened the door wider and led them into the house. Adri took a deep breath and separated from Dean who frowned but closed the door and followed. 

"Nice place," The older brother commented, watching Adri gaze in awe at the art hanging in the living room. She walked up to a Greek statue, completely encapsulated by the story it told.

"It's my parents'. Everything happened when I was just here for the long weekend. I decided to take the semester off so I can stay until Zack's free," Becky explained.

"Where are your folks?" Sam asked, smiling softly at Adri's art obsession.

"They live in Paris for half the year, so they're on their way home now for the trial. Do you guys want a beer or something?" Becky answered. The brothers and her were now in the kitchen, Adri still looking over the art in the living room.

"Hey—" Dean smiled, feeling thirsty.

"No, thanks. So, tell us what happened," Sam interrupted, louder than he meant, which caught Adri's attention. She made her way to the kitchen to listen to Becky's response.

"Well, um, Zack came home, and he found Emily tied to a chair. And she was beaten up and bloody, and she wasn't breathing." She started to cry. "So, he called 911, and the police—they showed up, and they arrested him. But, the thing is, the only way that Zack could've killed Emily is if he was in two places at the same time. The police—they have a video. It's from the security tape from across the street. And it shows Zack coming home at 10:30. Now, Emily was killed just after that, but I swear, he was here with me, having a few beers until at least after midnight." The three sat there in silence for a moment. Adri's eyelids were closing as she sat at the kitchen counter. Sam made an offer Dean was not expecting.

"You know, maybe we could see the crime scene. Zack's house."

"We could?"

"Why? I mean, what could you do?" Becky sniffled.

" Well, me, not much. But Dean's a cop." Sam lied, avoiding Dean's gaze.

"Umm, Detective, actually," Dean corrected, attempting to follow along.

"Really? Where?"

" Bisbee, Arizona. But I'm off duty now." Dean answered, stating the first place he could think of.

"You guys, it's so nice to offer, but I just—I don't know."

"Bec, look, I know Zack didn't do this. Now, we have to prove that he's innocent." Sam defended.

"Okay. I'm gonna go get the keys." Dean waited until she had left the hall next to the kitchen before he approached Sam.

"Oh, yeah, man, you're a real straight shooter with your friends."

"Look, Zack and Becky need our help," Sam argued.

"I just don't think this is our kind of problem," Dean argued, as he walked over to Adri and rubbed her upper back in order to wake her up gently.

"Two places at once? We've looked into less." The younger Winchester had a point. The three of them could at least look into the case.

"Huh? what'd I miss?" Adri mumbled, wiping the sides of her mouth to check for drool.