How Robert Met Sharleen

Robert(13), Sharleen(13), Seth(54), Leah(29)

On June 21 of 1919, now 13½ years old, Robert LaTierri was at the Venice Police department, visiting his father's good friend Dino Otello, trying to learn all the details about being a cop. The boy still wanted to be a policeman, but he was still too young to apply for the job. Anyway, Robert was drawing in his paper a picture of him as a future policeman. Once he was finished, he smiled and then looked up to see his father's very good friend Dino Otello, walking in with two females behind him, a young woman and a young girl who looked about the same age as Robert. "Right this way, ladies." Officer Otello said as he led them inside. "Take a seat next to that young man, please." The ladies walked over to where Robert was.

Robert saw how beaten and terrified they were, the woman had blood on her face after being attacked and the young girl had multiple bruises, scratches and cuts. He was so horrified to see these innocent females so badly beaten.

"Oh my, are you ladies ok?" Robert asked gently. "What happened?"

The young girl looks over at him.

"My father." She spoke.

Robert felt his heart sting, he cannot imagine a man would want to hurt his wife or children.

"What?" Robert asked.

Officer Otello came back into the room with the papers and the woman stood up, walking over to him to talk about the situation.

"But thankfully my mother had enough with his violent abusive behaviors when she caught him trying to kill me." The girl told him.

Robert felt his heart stop after hearing what she just said.

"W-what? W-why?" Robert asked, his eyes filling with tears.

"Because he hates me." The girl replied. "Ever since I was born."

Robert couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"He raped my mother...than she had me..." The girl added. "Once I turned 10...he tried to..." She took a deep breath, still not looking at Robert. "He touched me."

The girl broke down in sobs as Robert held her in his arms, feeling sorry for the girl and total rage for the so-called father.

"Hey," He said softly. "In a few years...I'm gonna be training to be a cop...."

The girl pulled away.

"And I'm not gonna let that creep get out." He told her. "My father, who is a great judge, will never ever allow the creep to get out."

The girl wiped the tears away.

"Thank you, um..." She started.

"Robert." He smiled at her. "Robert LaTierri."

"Thank you, Robert." She smiled. "I'm Sharleen. Sharleen Jones."

Robert smiled at her.

"It's nice to meet you." He said.

"You too." She replied.

She took a breath.

"I'm...so scared, right now." She admits.

Robert gently held her hand.

"I'm not gonna let anything happen to ya," He tells her. "I promise."

Sharleen could tell that Robert was such a sweet boy and a huge gentleman.

"You're really sweet." She tells him.

Robert blushed a little.

"Thanks." He spoke. "I think you're very beautiful."

Sharleen blushed, making Robert awed.

"Thanks." She smiled.

Robert gently kissed her cheek.

"Don't mention it." He said as Sharleen leaned on his shoulder. "I'll make sure that creeps who hurt women, men, children or animals, get a life in jail."

Sharleen smiled, knowing that her new friend...well, new but first boyfriend was a trusting, kind and very smart young man.

"You're gonna be a great policeman." Sharleen smiled up at him.

Robert kissed her head as they waited for Leah and officer Otello, also waiting for Seth to pick Robert up, because his father was really protective of his family.