1

Rooster's POV
As soon as I walk into the bar I feel some eyes on me. Then I see Phoenix, a friend from flight school, and she says "have a beer. You're going to need one before you see our crew for this mission."

I say "that bad?" She goes wide eyed and nods. I mumble "it can't possibly be that bad." I follow her through the bar to see some of the greatest pilots of my generation. I mumble "the aviator met gala is here." Then I see the guy I absolutely did not want to see.

After seeing who was here, I was just bound to see him here. The best of my class in flight school. Jake Seresin. Call sign: Hangman. Class A egomaniac. Class A hottie.

This is why I did not want to see him again. I had a slight thing for him in flight school and seeing him again just shows I can't fucking get over myself. He's a egotistical bratty child in a man body.

I don't know what I like about him. I don't know what I see in him.

Hangman sees me looking at him and I say "you look good." He says "I am good, Rooster. Too good. Too good to be true" smirking at me. I say "is that so? Last I checked that was a hundred percent me" winking at him.

Hangman says "well, maybe I'm a liar." He smiles that stupid smirk right onto his face and I say "maybe you are. But unfortunately you're here, so we'll all turn into lying egomaniacs and the Navy just simply can't have that." Hangman says "the Navy is made up of those. Be a little grateful. Be glad I'm here." I say "this is possibly the worst it could be" quietly.

Hangman walks by me saying "you're the only good thing here besides me of course" quietly then winking at me. I watch Hangman walk over to the bar and I finish my beer mumbling "I need another one."

Hangman walks by, handing me a beer, and I drink it. Why is he just on it with me? It feels like he knows me so well. He makes me swoon like a fucking teenage girl. This man is just something else. He's just an asshole but kind of nice at the same time.

He sits at the same table as me saying "have you read the handbook?" I say "which one?" He says "like the rules one. Not the how to fly the plane one, assuming you haven't read that either." I say "rude."

Hangman smirks saying "let's just say it's stricter than the flight school rules." I say "oh lord" quietly. I say "guess no one's getting laid for the next three weeks." Hangman says "absolutely not. No relationships between classmates either."

I say "sounds like it's gonna be hard for you" and he says "sounds like you're projecting." I say "you couldn't last a week no sex. You're a whore like that." He says "projecting." I say "if I had a third one, I would be a whore like that."

Hangman smirks saying "I might have to get you another one then." I can feel myself getting flustered and I say "do we have roommates?" Hangman says "why?" I say "seeing how much restriction we have cause I will gladly use my hand."

He laughs saying "we have roommates." I say "dammit" laughing and I say "I never get what I want." Hangman says "it's three weeks, it'll be ok" winking at me. I say "last resort you can always do your roommate."

Hangman says "you really are a lightweight." I say "or maybe I'm just comfortable talking to you." He says "and I'm the liar." I say "you are but aren't we all?" He says "amen."

I say "most of the time you're a real pain in my ass but you're alright." He says "I'm glad we're on the same page" making me smile slightly. He looks at me through his eyelashes like he always does, quietly saying "you look on edge like more than usual. What's up?"

I say "worrying about the mission. They gathered the best flyers that are still young and kicking for this mission for a reason. This is a death mission because they know we're the most likely to get out of it alive." Hangman says "you're probably right, who could teach us if we're the best though?"

I say "you never know. Some of the even better than the best is still alive. Fucking cockroaches. Drinking mai tais and beers on the beach somewhere but they will always be found" shaking my head.

Hangman says "have something on the old timers?" I say "a few of them" shaking my head and he says "can I get you another one?" I say "trying to get me drunk? I'd drink all day if I didn't have a little self control. Cut me off, we fly tomorrow, no hangovers for me." He smirks saying "alright, you have self control? I never knew that."

I say "impulse and self control like to cancel each other out." He chuckles saying "that they do" and he says "who do you think will teach us?" I say "who the hell knows. There's a possible option but the Navy hates them more than anything. I'd probably scream if they invited him back but whatever. It's very unlikely." Hangman says "you scared?"

I say "I don't think we could handle how he teaches but it'll keep us alive cause he's a fucking roach. He knows the ways and he never goes away." Hangman says "I hope this guy comes just to piss you off" smirking. I say "oh me too" sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

Hangman says "you give off really awful mixed signals" quietly and I say "how so?" He quietly says "I can't tell if you hate me more and more with every breath I take or if you are so in love with me and it's driving me crazy." I say "everyone's in love with you, babe. You just have to find the one that's real." Hangman says "I think I have."

I say "make a move then" holding eye contact with him.