16

Rooster's POV
I look at Jake and I look back at the headstones. Jake asks "what we're they like?" I say "my dad passed when I was three and my mom passed when I was nineteen. If you want to know about my dad, you should ask Maverick but he was apparently the nicest guy. He would do anything for anyone even Iceman. They didn't like each other very much."

Jake smiles and he says "what about your momma?" I say "my mom was the most beautiful and the baddest bitch I've ever met. She loved my dad more than anyone ever and I knew that. She loved me a lot but he was her end game. I always knew her as a sad woman but Maverick says she was the happiest person before he passed. A whole different person."

Jake says "she sounds beautiful, babydoll." I smile saying "she is." I lean against him and I say "we should get going before I get too emotional to drive." He slowly gets up and offers me a hand saying "you need to relax and enjoy the ride."

I say "I have eighteen and some odd hours of it, I'm relaxing and enjoying." Jake says "I meant figuratively, doll" as we walk to our vehicles. I smile saying "you're cute" biting my lip and we get out of this place. I blast music as I drive through San Diego to an entrance to the highway.

I put my car into cruise control, passing people till I get to open road which doesn't happen till I reach stare lines into Arizona. My phone rings and it's from Jake and a number I don't know. I turn the music down and I answer it. Jake says "where did you both go?"

Harper says "just getting off the exit in Phoenix to get gas and a snack." I say "just crossed into Arizona. Made up half an hour." Jake says "what's your speed? Damn. I'm like on schedule from where I came from." I say "cruise is on eighty five but if speed limit drops to sixty five, drop ten."

Jake says "I hope you get a ticket" chuckling and I say "try to keep up, Bagman. I'm slow in the air but on the ground, I'm fast as hell." Jake chuckles saying "babydoll, just don't get a ticket." I say "to keep up where I am I have to be going as fast as I am."

Harper says "yeah, once you get past Phoenix it's a good ride. Very open roads." I say "I'm gonna be low on gas by the time I get to Phoenix, so I'm gonna stop. Send me the location of the Starbucks you went to." Harper says "right off the highway. It's right there."

I say "can I order you anything so it'll be ready for when you get there?" Jake says "a cold brew would be nice. Nothing too big though." I say "ok" smiling and he says "I'm about half hour behind you." I say "ok, love you" and he says "love you too." Harper says "on my way to New Mexico! Bye, y'all!"

We chuckle and hang up then I get my music back on, rolling into Phoenix an hour and a half hour later. I walk into Starbucks, looking a little out of the ordinary I guess cause a few people stare at me. Aviators are on, tank top, and jeans. Yeah, look like I came fresh off a model shoot.

No, who am I kidding? It's the mustache. I order my drink and I say "my husband is gonna be through in like half an hour cause he drives the speed limit. Anyway, can I get a cold brew and delay my order for like half an hour?" The barista says "sure thing" chuckling and I say "a grande is good" and she says "awesome" smiling and I pay. I then get my drink then I get back on the road.

I get gas then I get on the highway and now I'm driving through desert. Like no exits for miles. I put my cruise control back on to eighty five and I get rolling. Half an hour later or so I see a text say:

Jake: thanks for the coffee, babydoll

I smile and I drive for another several hours. I make it into New Mexico, about halfway through the state, and I call Jake and Harper. Harper says "I'm crossing into Texas. I think I'm gonna stop for a few hours. Just relax then I'm gonna go for the home stretch."

Jake says "I've made up half an hour, so I should be close to you, babe, if you want to stop and get dinner." I say "I literally forgot to eat today. I kind of ate today, so maybe real food would be good. I cleaned a family size bag of chips" us chuckling. Jake says "we can catch up with you, Harper and we can all get dinner together." She says "no, you two go out. I'm good, I'm tired and I went through McDonald's earlier and ate like five chicken sandwiches."

We laugh and she says "I'm stopping for like three hours, if you need me just call cause I'm gonna pass out." She leaves the call and Jake says "let's get off the highway here?" I look in my rear view mirror and he is right behind me and I say "you scared me. I'm so hungry, sure." Jake chuckles saying "sorry, babydoll. I found a steakhouse."

I say "I'd marry a steak right now." Jake says "way to make me feel special." I say "you are my favorite piece of meat, don't worry about yourself, cowboy." He smirks and blushes lightly. I follow him down the road, speed limit: twenty five.

I turn into the parking lot and Jake hangs up on me when we park. I get out and I say "my legs forgot how to work." He walks over, chuckling at me, and kisses me saying "I missed you, doll." I smile and he says "can I buy you a drink?" I say "yes" and he takes my hand, us going in.