28

Rooster's POV
I say "now we can have fun. The flight deck has been lowered to two thousand rather than five thousand. Don't think, just do. Show us what you've got. Let's get up there. You have to work as a team and try to get us before we get you."

Jake says "I'm so ready." I say "let's suit up." We get ready and I say "I'm twisted in the back." Jake untwists whatever I have twisted in the back and I say "thanks." He says "you're welcome" slapping my ass and walking out. I bite my lip and he winks at me as I walk by.

I roll my eyes and we all get set and get in the air. Jake says "hello, this is your Lieutenant speaking, no lower than two thousand and try to keep up. Don't run out of fuel, doll." I say "that was one time!" He says "it's very memorable" chuckling.

We really get going and one of the guys say "let's put some skin in the game." Jake says "what are you thinking?" The guy says "hundred push ups?" I say "hundred less than it was with Maverick and he didn't even have to do one."

Jake says "I even had to do two hundred" and I say "we get it. You're a rank higher than all of us were. You're just the best, aren't you?" He says "second. Stop reminding me." I say "third. Ice is better than you."

I hear a "I heard someone pissed off an admiral, Bradshaw." I say "Maverick, I'm going to fucking kill you." He chuckles and says "miss me?" Jake says "not in the slightest." We laugh and I say "alright, all of you are flying really high. Don't be so easy on yourselves."

Jake and I start going at them and they start to panic and back off. Not do anything specific just not doing as they were taught in flight school. Jake says "cowarding gets you killed, not cowarding gets you shot!" Maverick says "damnit!" I pull up a bit, do some weird moves and I say "one hundred push ups, Mav!" Maverick says "how'd you do that?!"

I say "being cocky will kick your ass one day, Pete." Pete chuckles saying "like it is now?" I say "damn right, who's next?!" Jake and I eventually get them all out then I say "it's you and me now. What do we do?"

Jake says "same deal for us as for them." I say "haven't worked out in a bit. I'm gonna collapse at fifty." He says "guess you have of win." I get right on his nose and I get to the point where he can't lock in on me. I go over him bad get behind him saying "and locked." Jake says "dammit!"

I smile saying "see you at the tarmac! Push ups aren't gonna of themselves!" I get back and get out just laughing and I say "I'll count them for you." I see the other kids just doing their push ups and Jake gets down with them saying "I'm an old man." Maverick says "I made it through it, hot shot. So can you."

I count them and Jake lays on his back saying "that was good" and I tap his cheek saying "come on." He hops up and I mumble "you'd be a great dad." Jake looks at me saying "really?" I say "yeah" smiling. I say "just thought you should know."

Jake says "we should have kids" and I chuckle saying "babe, we just sent a teenager to your parents to take care of for us. We're basically parents already" and he says "shit. I'm a real daddy now. Oh no."

I chuckle saying "you will be fine." Maverick says "you two have been busy." I say "it feels like it but not really. I spent my couple weeks getting ten hours of sleep every night." Jake says "and helping a lost kid with shit parents and they end up at my house. Raising hell with an admiral. You know how it is."

Maverick says "I know the latter better than I should. Maybe not impulsively adopting a kid." We chuckle and I say "most definitely not" and we go back to the classroom, all of them sweaty, their flight suits tied at their waists. I say "what did you learn?" Jake mumbles "you're a better pilot than me."

I say "wow, wasn't expecting that." Jake says "and you're never gonna get it again, so don't you forget it." I say "I won't, that was the greatest compliment in my life. I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me." Jake says "it's not, but ok."

I chuckle saying "fine. Again, what did you all learn?" One says "we need to work together" and another says "stick with your wingman. Don't leave me hanging out to fucking dry!" He looks at his wingman and his wingman says "you need to keep up."

I say "tell that to each others families at the funeral cause you're both dead." We talk and argue through everything they did wrong and they all nod in understanding as to why I let them argue through it. I say "you all are dismissed."

They leave and Jake says "sit with me." He sits down and I sit with him. He says "what do you want to do?" I say "I just want to be with you." Jake says "you feel alright?" I nod saying "just thinking" and he says "doll, I worry about you sometimes." I rest my head on his shoulder and I say "don't worry about me."

Jake rubs my thigh saying "I'm always gonna worry about you, babydoll." I kiss him then I say "want to go to Pennys?" He says "sure" smiling and getting up. He offers me a hand and I take it, getting up. Jake drives us to Pennys and I look at him. He says "hey, I love you." I say "I love you too" leaning in slowly and he kisses me softly.

We go in and I see Phoenix and Bob just chilling like old times. I chuckle and Jake smiles, going over to them. I twist my ring on my finger and I go to the bar saying "get me two of whatever you want to give me, Penny." She smiles and hands me a couple beers. I say "thank you."