32

Rooster's POV
I follow them as far as they let me because they have to bring him into the operating room. I sigh, going back to the waiting room and I rub my forehead. A crying woman looks over to me and I smile a small smile at her. She smiles sadly and I sit here for what feels like years covered in dirt and sweat and tears when in reality it's only been a few hours.

A nurse comes out and says "he should be awake in a few minutes if you want to go in" looking at me. I stand up, following her down the hallway. I go into the room and he looks peaceful. Not passed out because of pain. I sit down mumbling "what happened to you, Jake?" I hold his hand gently, just leaning back in the chair.

I just hold his hand, waiting for my poor boy to wake up. He eventually wakes up saying "oh, babydoll. Come here" slowly opening his arms and I lean down to hug him. I mumble "my poor boy." He says "I'm ok, doll." I say "you almost died. Shut up." He smiles at me saying "you make me so happy" and he kisses me.

Jake says "go shower and take a nap, babydoll. You look rough and I'm not leaving this place for awhile." I mumble "god, I hate you." He chuckles and I say "taking care of me and shit when you almost died. So selfless, stop that." I peck his lip and I open the door saying "I love you" and he says "love you too, doll."

I put my aviators on and I leave. I get back and I say "this man kills me." They all look at me in wonder and with anxiety filled eyes. I say "Jakes fine. Dumb as always" rolling my eyes. One of them say "what does that even mean?" I say "don't know" shaking my head and going to shower.

I get showered, I change, and just throw my uniform on my bed. I go through the hallway saying "does anyone need me for the next while?" They all shake their heads then Cyclone says "I do" and I say "what could you possibly need from me?" He says "is he ok?" I say "he's ok. What else did you need from me?"

He says "you need to stop acting like an asshole, I should just fire the hell out of you." I say "you need me more than I need you, so fire the hell out of me. Might as well fire Jake too cause he would leave with me. Not only before kicking your sorry ass."

I go back to the hospital and I go right to Jakes room. I sit next to the bed and he says "hi" and I say "hey" smiling. He mumbles "give me some love" and I chuckle, kissing him softly. He says "they said I can leave in like an hour." I say "yay" smiling.

He giggles saying "you're driving cause my leg is shit now." I say "what happened anyway?" Jake says "broken leg. Like cast hip down. Same shoulder is broken. A few broken ribs too. That's it I think." I say "well, what do we do now?" He says "I don't think I can fly with my leg like this."

I say "that's ok." He says "I hate to make you drive that, doll" squeezing my hand. I say "you let me take care of you. You aren't going to worry about anything" and I peck his lips. He says "and I'm supposed to listen to you?" I say "yeah, you married me. You're the only person that has to listen to me" as a nurse comes in just chuckling at us.

Jake says "Lisa, I'm fine. Why do you have to check my vitals every all the time?" I chuckle saying "for a navy tough guy you like to whine." He says "that was like once. I'm just whining at her cause she whines at me." Lisa shrugs saying "it's true."

I chuckle saying "when can he leave?" She says "this is the last vitals I'm doing on him, so whenever he'd like to sign discharge papers." Jake says "can he sign them? My right arm is kind of preoccupied" looking at his arm in a sling. Lisa says "of course. I'll bring those right back."

I say "my broken boy" and she smiles and leaves. Jake smiles saying "I'm ready to get the hell out of here." I say "would you want to pack up and just start driving?" He tiredly nods and says "I just wanna go home" and I kiss his forehead saying "ok, babe." The nurse comes back with papers and I sign them and she takes his IV out.

I say "I brought clothes for you" handing him some sweatpants and a tank top. He mumbles "this is why I love you" kissing me and going to change. He says "I hate this" and I say "you're still hot though" and Jake says "at least" quietly.

I chuckle saying "now this is my kink" and Jake says "me suffering? Yeah, that's my kink too" chuckling I laugh saying "shut up." He changes in the bathroom even though it's just me and a nurse in the room. She says "I could've just left."

I chuckle saying "I love him but he's not the brightest person I know." Jake says "I can hear you." I say "that's ok, love." Jake comes back out saying "I need help" and the nurse takes his sling off saying "just hold it like this" putting her hand under her elbow. He does what she says and puts a shirt on. He says "thank you, ma'am." I say "let's get you and your southern charm out of here before you fluster this poor woman that's had to deal with your ass."

Jake smiles saying "take me home, pretty boy." I say "you're faster than me on crutches and I'm just walking." Jake says "broke the same leg in middle school." I say "well damn" and we get out to the truck. I say "do you need help?" He says "nope" and gets up there no problem. I say "you're magical or something" chuckling.

Time skip

We finally make our journey to Jakes parents' house. Jake says "you should carry me into the house." I say "babe, you're bigger than me." He says "but size doesn't matter" whining. I chuckle saying "give me a kiss, weirdo" kissing him. Jake smiles saying "come on, doll. We have to greet the people." I say "I feel like I can breathe again" hitting my head on the steering wheel.

Jake smiles saying "let's go inside, babydoll." We get out and I say "you are not allowed to almost die again." He says "same to you, doll. Same to you" us going into the house. He goes in saying "I'm home, momma." His mom comes out of the kitchen saying "did you bring that boy back with you?" I say "the boy almost didn't bring your son back." She says "oh my fucking god, what happened to you?!"

People flood the entry way and Jake says "calm down, I'm ok. I'm alive." I say "Jake, go sit down" and he says "yes, dear." He smirks at me and I roll my eyes then he leaves saying "I don't need my ass kicked, get the hell out of my way" to his dad. I chuckle and he sits on the couch and they all look at me like I did something.

I say "I didn't do anything, it's been a long few weeks for both of us. We've been on the defense for like three weeks straight. You can fight me about whether I physically abuse my scrappy over confident and most definitely bigger than me husband or not later but not right now." I leave the door way and I just go to my husband and sit down. I say "do you need anything?" Jake says "no, you just sit down and relax, babydoll" resting his hand on my thigh. Gia comes down the stairs and says "hey, welcome back" smiling then she says "what happened to you?" Jake says "crashed a plane in combat. Don't really want to talk about it" and she nods and wanders over to Jakes mom. She says "why are we mad now?"

His mom says "we're not mad, sweetheart" sighing and everyone goes their own way. Jake looks at me saying "glad we got to do that together. If that was going to be my last, that would've been the best last I've ever had." I say "you aren't allowed to die until you're old and gray. I would have no one without you" quietly. Jake mumbles "I'm gonna need therapy after this round" and I say "me too. Cyclone makes me want to die more than anything."

Jake says "let's hope Ice does something about him." I say "how about death by firing squad?" Jake says "talk it out, don't be so blunt, doll" quietly. I say "he was just so abusive and everything he said to me and talking about me behind my back to you. It fucking hurt" just crying into his shoulder. I say "he was just a bitch for no reason." Jake says "why didn't you tell me?" I say "you almost killed him as it is. You would've actually done it if I told you." I just cry into his shoulder for what feels like hours, him running his fingers over me soothingly.

Jake says "I love you and I'm so fucking proud of you, babydoll. You really pulled through, baby." I mumble "god, I love you too" him kissing my forehead.