15

Rooster's POV
Jake introduces himself and they talk for a minute then Sarah says "you take care of Bradley for me. He's more fragile than he looks." I say "Sarah!" Jake says "oh I know that. I'll take care of him, ma'am."

I smile and Sarah says "ok, you go talk to Tom. I want to know more about you, Jake." Jake chuckles saying "ok" smiling and I go upstairs to Toms office. I sit down and he smiles at me and types: did you bring that boy of yours?

I laugh saying "I did. Sarah wanted to chat him up a bit first." He types: I want to talk to you both. I say "may I ask what about?" He types: you'll hear in a bit. I say "ok, fine. I'm gonna head out to Texas with Jake today unless you need me to stay for anything."

He types: you are all over the place today, Bradley Bradshaw. Take a breath. I'm an independent man. You stay if you want, not because I need you. I think your love for this boy is beautiful and you should spend as much time with him as you can because life is short, Bradley. I have everything I need but there is still the thing I need to talk to you two about though. That might be the only reason for you two to stay here.

I smile saying "I'll go get him." Ice nods and I open the door, going downstairs, and I say "I need my husband for multiple seconds cause your husband doesn't stop talking sometimes." Sarah chuckles saying "take your time." I say "I think Tom likes Jake more than me now." Sarah says "that's possible?"

I say "I went in there and he asked if I brought that boy of mine with me before he even said anything else." We chuckle and Jake and I go upstairs to Toms office. Jake and I go in and Jake says "Iceman, not looking a day over thirty, sir." Ice smirks, gesturing for us to sit down, and they shake hands.

We sit down, Jake resting the back of his hand on my thigh. I hold his hand and Ice types: you both look great. How'd the mission treat you? Jake says "it was terrifying, sir, to be honest with you. Everything happened that was supposed to but something happened how they shouldn't have. Everyone came home safe and the mission was complete though, so we call that a win."

Tom types: Jake, it happens. I've never been on a mission that went completely right. Being a pilot, you learn to think quickly and improvise. What you did was very heroic of you that day and Cyclone should see that. You are very lucky they gave you the go ahead cause I know you would've gone out there anyway if they told you no. You are fearless and don't let me saying that scare you. Use it to your advantage. Now, I have a deal for you guys.

I look at Tom and he says "I want you two to instruct the next Top Gun mission." I look at Jake and he says "when do we start?" I say "wait, hold your horses, cowboy. Ice, what are we teaching if we do this? Who are we teaching? What's their experience?" Tom types: you would be teaching kids just like you guys. Never been to top gun but they all need to be taught how to work together. They all just came out of a failed mission and they're all doing this instead of getting their licenses taken away. Whatever you need to do to get them to work together and collaborate as they should. I heard about this mission and I thought they needed to be whipped into shape and you two would be perfect for the job.

I say "so, we're teaching a bunch of kids that only know how to fly planes extremely well, not work as a team whatsoever? Flight skills but nothing else. Anything else we need to show them?" Ice types: they need to learn how to dogfight. Run drills then when you say they are ready to graduate, they can graduate Top Gun. They don't teach dogfighting like they used to. You guys were like the last to learn what it actually is like.

Jake says "we can do this. Teach them what we know." I look at Jake saying "I'm up for the challenge." Jake looks at Ice saying "me too. When do we start?" Ice types: two weeks, we can communicate about transportation later on cause I know you guys want to go home for a bit.

Jake says "yes, sir, we'll be in touch." Jake shakes his hand and Ice types: I'll write up exactly what you guys need to teach them. My wording wasn't very good just then. I smile saying "ok, just send it our way."

Jake says "we gotta get going if we want to get home by day after tomorrow." I look at him saying "ok" chuckling. Ice says "you two have fun. Congratulations by the way" pointing at my hand. I say "thank you" hugging him and he nods saying "I'll see you in a couple weeks."

I smile and Jake and I go downstairs. He holds my hand and I say "I'll see you in a few weeks, Sarah." She says "coming back?" I say "I guess so" smiling and she chuckles saying "ok. I'll see you two then." Jake says "where to now?" We get outside when he says this and I say "I want to see my mom and dad." He smiles sadly saying "ok" and I say "we're close, just follow."

Jake nods and I drive to the military cemetery my father and mother were buried in. I sigh and I drive in slowly. I throw my car into park and I get out, sitting in front of my parents' grave. I sigh and Jake comes over and sits next to me. I hold his hand as I read their headstones over and over again.

LTJG Nick 'Goose' Bradshaw, Father, Husband, Best friend, Aviator, Fearless, Gracious.

Carole Bradshaw, Mother, Wife, Fearless, Graceful, Loving.