28

Chapter 28: Achilles Heel

"More champagne?"

My head jumped up in the direction of the woman dressed in all black aside from her bright, white smile.

"Yeah-yes. Please. Thank you."

She tipped the champagne bottle my way, filling my glass until the bubbles fizzled out and tickled my fingers. She then walked over to Mel and topped her glass off too before taking her leave.

Thank God for alcohol.

"What do you think about this one?"

Mel turned in all angles in front of the three floor length mirrors in front of her, smoothing her hands over the rise of her hips.

Sipping back a mouth-full of champagne, I responded, "It's nice. Very pretty."

Mel's shoulders slumped at the same time she let out an aggravated sigh and whipped around to face me.

"You can't be so polite with this sort of thing, Amber. It's a wedding dress and 'nice' won't cut it. I need you to be brutally honest because we only have today to get this done and it needs to be perfect."

"Okay, okay, sorry."

Eyeing the silken ivory dress that laid loosely over her curves, a grimace twisted my face as I shook my head.

"It's not anything that wows me, I guess. It's too simple."

"There we go!" Mel clapped her hands together. "That's the kind of criticism we need! Onto the next dress!"

"Try something with a flare maybe?"

"Ooo, like a runway kind of wedding dress. I like it."

Just as Mel headed back into the dressing room to grab the next dress, her purse started to ring.

"Can you grab that?" Mel threw over her shoulder.

Keeping my drink up high in one hand to keep it from spilling, I reached into Mel's purse next to my feet and fished her phone out. The name on the incoming call set my stomach to boil, the alcohol inside bubbling nauseatingly.

"It's Jordan," I called back to her, my voice weaker than intended.

"Just answer and tell him to call back later."

Fighting with my rising anxiety, I tried to reason with Mel through the constricting emotion winding around my throat.

"Are you sure you don't want me to just let it go through to voicemail?"

Please don't make me talk to him. Please don't make me listen to his voice. I hadn't heard his voice anywhere but in my dreams since the day we kissed, and I knew before it even happened that I wasn't ready to hear it again so soon.

"Yeah, just tell him I'm busy."

Through the thick wood of the dressing room door separating us, Mel managed words sharp enough to splinter through the barrier and soar dead center for my heart.

"He knows where we are right now anyway. He picked out examples yesterday of dresses he liked that this store had, so he should know we're busy."

Shards from her words punctured the thinly veiled wounds of my heart, wounds that had barely begun their recovery. Now, they were bleeding out all over again and filling my stomach as I answered her phone.

"Hello."

A pause lingered over the phone before his voice came out deep and confused.

"Amber?"